Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Trouble with Salads

So, I was on the road pretty much all day today, the first real test of eating while traveling. Let me just say it's difficult. I think I need a new phone that has Internet browsing capability so I can look up Dottie's Weight Loss Zone's restaurant nutritional info while on the go. Still, I tried to do well considering my trouble with salads -- they rarely fill me up if I'm hungry. I think of salad as something you eat before or with a main course. The only exception is the chef salad at Cracker Barrel. Plus, when you're on the road, it's difficult to actually eat a salad while driving. Thus, here's what my day looked like, culinary-wise:

Breakfast: Banana = 105 calories
Lunch: Wendy's Jr. Cheeseburger = 320 calories
Snack: 6 McDonald's Chicken McNuggets = 250 calories
1/2 Lenny's tuna sub = 415 calories! (OMG, I'm glad I only ate half of one.)
1 Weight Watchers fudge bar - 110 calories

So, overall I was right at the daily calorie count I've been trying to hover around. But I still feel like it wasn't a successful day, especially since I don't think driving and riding on a paddlewheel riverboat count as exercise.

Does anyone have any good recipes for yummy, filling salads that don't have a bazillion calories?

Today's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,200

Exercise: None -- unless you count me running to my car from the riverboat in the pouring rain.

Steps: I think it's going to be around 5,000 today. At one point during the day, I looked down to see that my pedometer had popped open. It stops counting steps when it's open, so I don't know how many I lost. So, my plan is to shoot for 15,000 steps tomorrow to make up for the lack of steps today. This will be a challenge since it's the final day before my deadline, but I'm determined to meet both the steps and the deadline goals!

3 comments:

Kim Law on August 3, 2009 at 1:44 PM said...

Trish...I'm having an "I suck" day and was reminded of your new blog. So I popped over here to catch up and I've got to say, you've given me a little inspiration. Not just with eating better, but as I read, I pictured you with the way you attack everything, so disciplined and determined. Man! I need some of that! I wish you lots of luck in this new blog, and if you feel like some little part of you is being sucked out today, it's just me trying to steal some of your resolve! :)

Trish Milburn on August 4, 2009 at 12:01 AM said...

Hey, Kim! You do not suck! We shall have no negative self-talk. That's your healthy living tip of the day. :)

Michelle Butler on August 5, 2009 at 4:30 PM said...

There are some healthy, quick salad options out there. Wendy's salads are particular good - though you may have to cut your dressings in half or not add on the nuts or fried stuff that are included in the optional toppings.

If you are making a salad at home, I would recommend "splurging" on the low-fat salad dressings that are around 40 calories per serving as opposed to the fat free ones at time. They can "satisfy" so much more. I like to make salads at home sometimes and try to make them as "fun" as restaurant ones by adding fruit. I like them a lot with salmon out of the packets as opposed to out of the cans.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon