Monday, August 17, 2009

Tuesday Tidbits

I haven't had much time to read health-related material lately because of the pressing deadlines, but I took about 15 minutes tonight to read a bit of the fitness magazine I have on hand. A couple of interesting tidbits hit me.

1. It's summer, and to me that means ice cream. Lately, I've been going for the Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers fudge bars, which run 100-110 calories each. And it's a good thing. There are 273 calories in one cup of vanilla ice cream, 380 in one cup of cookie dough ice cream. According to fitness, you'd have to bike for 45 minutes to burn off that cookie dough ice cream. My favorite ice cream treat -- a small Chocolate Xtreme Blizzard from Dairy Queen -- has 660 calories! No wonder I was packing it on. If I want this treat in the future, I'm going to have to break it into thirds and eat it over three days. Or maybe sixths.

2. I've been keeping the food diary lately, but an article in the magazine suggests keeping track of your steps or walking mileage every day and to challenge yourself to do more each succeeding day. The magazine has an interesting Run/Walk Planner and lots of information about walking, including the ability to map and save your favorite routes and the ability to find new ones suggested by other runners/walkers in your area. This is something I'm going to dive into when I get this book turned in and devote more focus to it.

What are some of your favorite places to go walking/running/hiking in your area? In other parts of the country? I love going to state and national parks and hitting the trails. I'm able to get exercise, fresh air and lovely views.

Today's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,129.66

Exercise: 15 minutes housework

Steps: 4,620

6 comments:

Mary Curry on August 17, 2009 at 11:40 PM said...

I cam looking to add a comment and found a new blog. :)

They just had an interesting segment on our local news about giving in to your sweet or salt craving rather than fighting it. According to the nutritionist they interviewed, most people end up eating way more by trying to work around the food they crave. She suggested giving but limiting the portion and supplementing it with something healthier. Her suggestion was if you're craving chips, have a couple but eat them with a low cal dip to fill you up faster.

I guess breaking that Blizzard into sixths would work too.

I feel your shock at the calorie count though. I think that's one of the most eye-opening parts of calorie counting. I never understood why I was gaining weight because I wasn't eating all that much - at least not what I thought you would need to what to gain weight. But as soon as you start adding up the individual item calories - it's like WHOA!!!!!

Tawny on August 18, 2009 at 1:40 AM said...

WOW on the Blizzard calories, Trish. Isn't it wild how sneaky those calories can be. We think small, virtuous, and bam, its half our days caloric intake.

I'm not a big walker, but plan to change that. We have some lovely walking paths around our new neighborhood and everyone here seems to get out and walk their dogs. Tinkerbell needs to lose weight just like I do, so we're going to be hitting the sidewalk.

Trish Milburn on August 18, 2009 at 7:42 AM said...

Mary, the Blizzard count really blew me away. I mean, during the summer in particular, it wasn't unheard of for me to each one or two a week. Yeek!

Tawny, I really like walking or hiking somewhere pretty. I much prefer it to any type of gym equipment ever made. When I walk around the neighborhood (not particularly scenic like a walk in the woods would be), I make the time pass by listening to podcasts on my iPod.

Nicki Salcedo on August 18, 2009 at 11:22 PM said...

I live in an urban residential area and you can walk to the train, coffee, restaurants in 10-20 minutes. A little bit further away is Stone Mountain Park. It is very pedestrian friendly and a great way to start a Saturday morning.

I was in St. Paul, MN and we did a 3 mile walk/run along the Mississippi and it was amazing. Thanks for keeping me motivated Trish!

Trish Milburn on August 18, 2009 at 11:51 PM said...

Nicki, sometimes I wished I lived in a wonderful urban area where so many things were within walking distance. But everything seems to be a drive away here. Plus, I think I might start craving open spaces after awhile.

Would you believe I've not been to Stone Mountain? I need to visit there. Maybe I'll come down to M&M early and check it out.

Unknown on August 19, 2009 at 12:48 PM said...

I also tend to walk to things in the city as opposed to walking in nature.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon