Friday, August 14, 2009

Forgiving Yourself Without Forming Bad Habits

Ever had one of those days where you were a total schlub? Where you couldn't muster the energy or gumption to do anything productive? Well, that was me today. I managed to do some e-mail, prepare a blog post for tomorrow, go to the eye doctor and write maybe 2-3 pages. But there was no exercise and I should have written 20 pages today. I don't know why I just couldn't get going today. Granted, at least for a few hours, I couldn't see well enough to work because my eyes were dilated, but even when my vision went back to normal I felt totally lazy.

While I could wallow in this, I'm already making plans for tomorrow to be a super productive day instead. I have an RWA chapter meeting, but I still want to write 20-25 pages, get in 15,000 steps (including some needed exercise) and keep my calorie intake for the day to the 1,000-1,200 range. We'll see how I do.

I think we all have an off day here and there, and it's important not to dwell on it, to forgive yourself and move on. None of us is perfect. But that said, don't let one non-productive day turn into two which can too easily turn into three and so on.

Anyone have any stories or tips on this topic?

Today's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,339

Exercise: Nada

Steps: 3,709

3 comments:

Michelle Butler on August 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM said...

Given how tough the day before your "relaxing day" was, you needed the break. It's smart not to beat yourself up about it.

Caren Crane on August 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM said...

Now Trish, you know as well as anyone that you are NEVER supposed to go under 1200 calories a day without a doctor's supervision. If your body thinks you're starving, you'll train it to more efficiently store fat. That's the trap!

Eat a decent amount of low-fat, low-refined-carb and high-protein food and don't beat yourself up about missing an exercise goal a day or two a week. Your body needs a day of rest just like your mind. It actually makes your exercise MORE effective if you take at least one day a week off from working out.

I'm proud of your diligence and honesty. You have motivated me greatly. I'm down 9 pounds and very happy!

Trish Milburn on August 16, 2009 at 12:18 AM said...

Michelle, I think you're right. And I know in the past when I've had a big writing day the next day there's usually a falloff. But I got 15 today.

Caren, first, congrats on your losing 9 pounds. Go you!

As for the calories, I just looked back through my daily logs and most of my days are coming in at the 1,200-1,400 calories range. According to the article linked below, the National Institutes of Health's obesity guidelines suggests 1,000-1,200 for women and 1,200-1,500 for men. When I did an online calorie estimator for a moderate amount of exercise and wanting to lose 2 pounds a week, it said I could eat up to 1,500 a day. So most of the time I'm falling in that 500-calorie range between 1,000 and 1,500. And most days I've not been hungry. Today was just an icky one with the high-calorie, less-filling salad.

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100175308

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon