Monday, August 31, 2009

Feeding the Brain

We all know that a high-fat diet isn't good for us if we're trying to lose weight or trying to avoid serious issues like heart disease and obesity, but according to a study at Oxford University those high-fat diets may also affect not only our physical abilities but our mental ones as well. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't need what I'm consuming to slow down my brain. I need all those brain cells firing to be able to write and create, thanks. You can read the article in Science Daily here.

So if the high-fat diets affect our brain function in a negative way, what can we eat to potentially improve it. What is some good brain food? According to this article, eating to benefit the brain (which evidently uses 20 percent of our daily calories) is very similar to eating to benefit the body as a whole.

For a little fun (as well as good information), try out this quiz about brain food. I only got 3 of the 7 questions right. Oops.
~~~

Today's Progress:

Calorie intake: 1,226.16

Exercise: About 30 minutes of walking while running errands.

Steps: 7,679 (not back up to 10,000, but at least about 3,000 more per day than I've been getting lately)

2 comments:

Theresa Ragan on September 1, 2009 at 11:55 AM said...

Hi Trish, wow, great quiz! I only got three right answers, too! Who would have guess "chocolate"??? I swear by my fish oil vitamins for helping my brain. My memory has improved tenfold since I started taking Omega 3 and eating salmon every week.

Trish Milburn on September 2, 2009 at 12:10 AM said...

Wow, that's impressive about the results from the Omega 3 and salmon.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon