Thursday, August 13, 2009

Eye Health

I've worn glasses for my nearsightedness since 5th grade, and I have the ugly glasses photos to prove it. All kidding aside, however, I take eye health very seriously. One of my worst fears is going blind. Not only do I hate the idea of being dependent on others for anything, so much of what I do depends on sight. So I'm off to the eye doctor tomorrow for a checkup. I've been getting some headaches and squinting more, so it's time. I haven't had new lenses for awhile because I haven't needed them, but I think I will this time. And I'm afraid I might have reached that horrid place known as The Land of Bifocals. I say this because recently I got a splinter in my finger and held it up close so I could pull the splinter out and had to move the finger farther away to see it. That had never happened before. But wait! I'm not even 40 year. Sigh.

I'm going to a new optometrist tomorrow because we have new insurance the office I had been going to isn't covered. At the old office, they had a machine they used to check the back of my eyes, but according to the new place's Web site, I'll have my eyes dilated tomorrow. Great, while I'm on deadline. Sigh. Maybe I'll just take a nap when I get home. Sleep is good for one's health, right?

We writers sit in front of computers so much that having to have corrective lenses is almost a given. I'm not sure I know a single writer who doesn't wear glasses or contacts or had corrective surgery. But because we're writers, we also need to take very good care of our eyes as well as the rest of our bodies. So has it been awhile since you've been to the optometrist? Perhaps it's time for a checkup.

Today's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,033.5

Exercise: 35 minutes walking

Steps: Alas, 7,005. Probably because I was in front of the computer cranking out 22 pages today. Did I mention I have to finish two projects by Sept. 1?

6 comments:

Michelle Butler on August 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM said...

Best of luck at the eye doctor! There are certain vitamins that are supposed to be good to eye health, but I have to admit I can't remember what they are. My mom takes them pretty faithfully.

I've always had bifocals. They're not a big deal at all.

Trish Milburn on August 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM said...

Well, I can finally see the computer now that my eyes are getting back to normal after the dilation.

Turns out my eyes are fine and no change in prescription necessary. Doc just thinks that I stare so much at the computer screen, or at books/papers, and the TV that my eyes are getting tired and trained to focus at those distances and so when I look up it appears I can't see long distances. So, the moral of the story is to have more breaks where I focus on something farther away. Maybe I'll take breaks and take mini-walks throughout the day -- perhaps two laps around the cul de sac.

Caren Crane on August 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM said...

Trish, I have to take breaks when I'm at work and focus on something far away to give my eyes a chance to refocus. Computer work is horrid on one's eyes. I go back to the ophthalmologist in November. I'm waiting to see if this is the year for bifocals!

Mary Curry on August 15, 2009 at 3:57 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Curry on August 15, 2009 at 3:57 PM said...

Trish, I had that same problem years ago when I was reading scripts for Columbia Pictures. The eye doctor told me to periodically look up and focus on something in the distance to flex the eye muscles.

Glad your visit went well. That's one more doctor on my to-do list before school starts.


Oops, posted twice.

Trish Milburn on August 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM said...

MaryC, that's so cool that you worked for Columbia Pictures. But I see where all the reading would be tiring on the eyes.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon