Saturday, August 8, 2009

Ah, Massage

One of my favorite gifts to myself is also good for me -- a massage. I try to get one after finishing up a stressful deadline that has had be attached to my computer for days on end. When I go in, I know I'm achy, but I don't know how knotted up my shoulders and back are until the therapist starts working the muscles. And the first time I got a full-body massage, I jumped at the discomfort in the sides of my knees when the massage therapist pressed there. She knew from that tenderness that I had a desk job. She said people who sit a lot for work will tend to have soreness in the sides of their knees and may not even know it. Go ahead, press there and see.

One of my goals as a writer is to eventually make enough that I can get a massage every week. :) Not only does it feel good, but it has definite health benefits. Among them:

1. Stimulates blood circulation (a concern if you see too long at a time)
2. Alleviates pain and tension
3. Helps you recover more quickly from injuries
4. Relaxes arm muscles that might be tender from too much typing or mousing
5. Improves posture (I'm a sloucher, so this is important for me.)
6. Combats anxiety and depression

I think after I finish up this deadline, the second of a back-to-back deadline situation, I'll treat myself again.

Today's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,315

Exercise: 40 minutes mowing, 10 minutes walking

Steps: 10,195

2 comments:

jo robertson on August 9, 2009 at 9:32 AM said...

Yay, you on the exercise and weight loss, Trish! I've lost three pounds, but that seems a small loss in the big bucket of my weight LOL.

Massages are wonderful. We have a massage "school" where you can get a massage much less expensively because they employ students. The students have finished their studies and are getting their practicum hours in. And they're quite good!

Trish Milburn on August 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM said...

Thanks, Jo. And don't know those three pound you've lost. It's movement in the right direction! Be excited about about each tick of the scales downward.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon