Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Proper Posture & a Request

I've had terrible sitting posture for as long as I can remember. I'm a slumper. That's probably one of the reasons I have backaches so often. Since I'm not yet in the league with J.K. Rowling, Nora Roberts and J.R. Ward, I'm not going to be able to go get a professional massage as often as I'd like. But I could improve things by being conscious of my posture and trying to improve it, particularly during all those hours at the computer. I found this site that has some good information on posture -- even if their cartoon illustration guy does remind me of Jay Leno. :)

Something else I want to do for my back soon is buy a new mattress set. I think they were still building the Stonehenge when ours was made. It has that horrible sag in it.
~~~

I also wanted to say that I'm excited that we're up to 10 followers of the blog now, with several other regular readers. I hope you all are getting inspired to live your healthiest life possible. And I'd like to know some of the healthy topics you'd like to see covered here. Go ahead, shout them out. :)
~~~

Today's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,162 -- Much better today.

Exercise -- 50 minutes cleaning house (dusted, vacuumed and straightened the master bedroom); 35 minutes walking the cul de sac; 15 minutes step aerobics

Steps: 10,158 (made it back to the 10,000 mark -- yay!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. It's sooo important for anyone with a desk job to make sure that your workstation is set up to YOUR specifications. Most office desks & chairs are designed for men, not for petite women, which can be a real challenge to work around. (For example, if you can't lower the surface of the desktop and/or your chair, consider putting a footstool under your feet so that you can raise your chair to the right height for that desktop.)

I developed very bad back problems at one job and realized that the desk/chair were all the wrong height for me. (Make sure the mouse is also at the right height, since some keyboard trays require you to put the mouse on a different height surface.)

Several years ago, I got rid of my office chair and started using a large balance ball instead. The ball forces you to have better posture while you're sitting at the computer; if you slouch, you fall off! Balancing on the ball also helps to work your core muscles while you're just sitting there, which seems like multi-tasking at its best to me. :)

Trish Milburn on August 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM said...

What a great idea to use the balance ball to sit on. Hmm, worth a try.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon