Saturday, August 15, 2009

Why I Need a New Phone

You might be scratching your head about the title of the post and what it has to do with being healthy, but here's the sitch. Today I went to my RWA chapter meeting. We always eat lunch afterward, but we don't decide where until after the meeting. We ended up at O'Charley's, and I thought, after looking over the menu, "I'll be good and have a salad." If I'd only had a phone with Internet capabilities, I would have looked up the nutritional info online and known that the Tortilla Salad was NOT a good choice. It had 590 calories and didn't really fill me up. I was still hungry when I got home. I ate a cheesey bread stick left over from dinner last night to tide me over until dinner, but I was going to have to go slim on dinner to stay in my 1,200-calorie range for the day.

But by dinnertime, I was about to chew my arm off I was so hungry. No way I was going to make it. Not to mention I've been craving Mexican food. And I know when I crave something I have to feed the craving or I will begin to obsess about it. So, I accepted I was going to go over the calorie count today but looked at the menu to figure out something that was much lower in calories than what I would normally get. I didn't need the queso dip or the sour cream or the entire bag of chips. I ended up with a single chicken quesadilla and a bit of refried beans and four tortilla chips. Higher in calories than most of my dinners of late, but not as not as bad as the giant burrito or slathered-in-cheese chimichanga I normally get. And it satisfied the craving so that tomorrow I can get back to a staying-at-home, healthier eating plan for the day, and thus a lower calorie count. I may shoot for something in the 1,000 range tomorrow to counter today's big number.

Have any of you ever eaten something, thinking it was a good choice, only to find out later it wasn't?

Anyway, my phone is ancient, and after my deadline I'm going to start exploring getting a new one that has some Internet surfing capability so I'm not attacked by a Giant Calorie Salad again.

Today's progress:

Calorie count: 1,674

Exercise: None again. Yes, I know I was going to do better today. Sigh. Not that this is good for the health (unless you count my stress level), but I am getting several pages written today. I'm up to 13 now and want to get at least 2 more. Was shooting for 20, but I'm beginning to get tired. If I could only write and walk at the same time.

Steps: 4,925

3 comments:

Mary Curry on August 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM said...

Hi Trish, You need one of those treadmill desks that Caroline Fyffe has. I don't really get how she can walk and type at the same time, but it seems to work for her so I must just be missing something.

My ancient phone supposedly has internet capability, but I've never tried it. I'm terrified of the add-on charge to my bill. My iPod Touch uses all the iPhone apps and there are calorie counting apps plus its internet browsing capability - provided you're in a place that has wireless access.

sounds like giving in to the Mexican was a good decision. I made a similar decision today - not as healthy but necessary. I've been CRAVING peach pie all summmer and a bakery near me finally had Peach Pie with cinnamon pecan crumble on top. When my daughter asked me what kind of birthday cake I wanted all I could think was peach pie but I knew no one else in the family would want it. She got ice cream cake so I had only a tiny sliver on Thursday. When I saw the slices of pie for sale today I decided I'd allow it as my birthday cake for myself. I only bought the individual slice not the whole pie as my attempt at behaving.

Mary Curry on August 16, 2009 at 5:37 PM said...

PS - forgot to add - the pie was delicious but it also cured me of the craving because it wasn't as good as it was in my imagination so I figure it was worth it

Trish Milburn on August 16, 2009 at 10:51 PM said...

Mary, that's a good compromise -- to get the single slice of pie instead of the whole thing. I sometimes do that by getting those frozen Edwards pie slices that come two to a box in the frozen food section. Because if I have a pie or cake in the house, I lose my mind and eat it like crazy. So avoiding the temptation of doing so is key. Now, I haven't had the pie since I started counting calories. I'm afraid to even look at how high in cals they are.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon