Thursday, August 6, 2009

Coming Additions

My good friend Michelle (who has been posting in the comments the past couple of days) and I have been talking about ideas for content for this blog. I'm thinking about adding guests on certain days, ones who'll share their own journeys to healthier living and tips for those journeys. So if you're a reader of the blog and are interested in blogging here about some aspect of your weight loss/healthier living journey, contact me at trishmilburn AT yahoo DOT com.

Also, I'm going to start watching The Biggest Loser this year and doing recaps and encouraging discussion about each episode. What would be great is if readers of the Healthy Writer blog could watch too, be inspired and join the day-after discussions. I'm hoping to get my hubby to watch with me.

I read some more of my Walk Off Weight book today. It covered the five-day walking plan of two days of longer, normal-pace walks with three days of shorter, faster-paced walks. I think I'll try one of the fast-paced walks tomorrow, especially since I'm also doing yard work in the mornings to try to get a bunch of stuff ready at the curb for the brush guys, who are supposed to be in our neighborhood sometime soon. I can always tell without even looking at the city's schedule online because large piles of brush start showing up in all our neighbor's yards.

The book also covered some sculpting exercises. I'm glad no one sees me when I attempt these things (or yoga, for that matter) because I'm really clumsy and tend to fall all over the place. Oh well, as long as it works.

I've been looking online for activity calorie calculators, and I can't figure out why different sites have them listed so differently. But I did find one at Discovery Health today that I like and will be using. Still, it's calculations for my activities is quite different from my pedometer. Granted, it's a cheap pedometer and perhaps not super-duper accurate. If you use this site's calculator, keep in mind that each time you add an activity, the calorie counter is cumulative for all activities. Hit refresh after each one to clear it so you can see what each activity burned.

Today's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,052.96

Exercise: 45 minutes yard work (chopping limbs and dragging them to the curb), 10 sit-ups and 40 minutes low-impact aerobics

Steps: 10,169

2 comments:

Michelle Butler on August 7, 2009 at 11:08 AM said...

I'm The Biggest Loser fan Trish mentions. I missed the first season but have seen most of the other seasons, and I find it inspiring. Yes, there are some of the typical reality show stunts, editing to maximize interpersonal conflict, too many close-ups of extreme fat, but the overall journeys that the contestants undergo as they go from (morbidly) obese to a healthy body weight can be very moving and instructive. I've picked up some tips and insights that have helped me with my own journey.

Theresa Ragan on August 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM said...

I have watched The Biggest Loser every season. Love that show. It will be fun to come here and discuss it with you.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon