Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A weekend of contradictions

I was at the RWA Board meeting for the past three days, so my brain is a wee bit tired this morning. I was sitting here looking at the screen, wondering what I could possibly post about. But then I realized that in addition to a lot of board work this weekend, I'd observed some interesting things health-wise. On the positive side, there are a couple of other board members who have been on weight-loss journeys and who have had incredible success. I'm hoping I can have them guest here soon. But at that same board table, candy and cookies were passed around. And I'll admit that I ate some of them. Part of it is that I like Dove chocolate/caramel squares and Christie Cookies, and the other part was that my willpower wanes when I'm tired. Board meeting days are long and you have to be attentive and able to participate in the discussions, and that also contributed to a lot of caffeine being consumed -- tea for some, soft drinks for others like me.

As you might expect, there's a lot of sitting involved in board meetings. I chose to look at it as a positive that our hotel rooms were a good hike from the board room. At least I was walking off some of bad calories I was consuming. I wish I'd had my new pedometer I ordered so I'd know how much I walked this weekend. For those of you coming to the RWA conference next summer, bring your walking shoes -- literally. I think we should all pull a "commuter" and walk to workshops in our tennis shoes and change into our cute heels when we get there. :) But the Gaylord Opryland Hotel is gorgeous and unlike any other place I've ever stayed. I think conference attendees are going to love it. And they'll get in lots of steps while they're there.

It's back to the normal routine today, and that means better eating (I just had an apple for breakfast) and exercise that isn't just walking around the hotel. With Thanksgiving next week, I really need to lose some pounds this week.

Hope you all have a fabulous, healthy, productive week. Please pop by the comments section and let us know how you're doing on your healthy writer journey and what you want to accomplish this week.

2 comments:

Michelle Butler on November 17, 2009 at 2:03 PM said...

I have a really hard time avoiding eating food if it's right in front of me. I may have no desire to have candy, but if you put it in front of me, soon I'll want nothing more than to eat it - and start obsessing about it. If you can't get it away or stop looking at it, it can get even harder to avoid. Kessler talks about this in his book, but I haven't worked out for myself the best way to resist the temptation. I've heard some folks call it being a visual eater - if you see it, you want it.

Trish Milburn on November 17, 2009 at 7:26 PM said...

Interesting. I'm really going to have to read that book.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon