Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Exercise Endeavor - The Right Equipment

By Tawny Weber

Last week as I re-embraced my love for jogging, I discovered three things:

1. A once broken foot, even after 3 years, can still hurt.

2. Support is everything.

3. Sometimes an ugly shoe is okay (okay, I shuddered as I typed this one).

My sneakers were, well, old and worn. My first time back on the treadmill to jog and I was almost in tears, my feet hurt so badly (especially the foot I’d broken). But they were cute shoes! They were solid black, which meant they went with everything I wear, and usually there was a nice clean flow of color from my black yoga pants or black sweatpants or, well, any pants but jeans, since I have at least a dozen pair of comfy black pants that are meant for exercise but inevitably worn for writing (hey, can I call them ‘writing exercise’ pants? No? LOL).

The problem was, they didn’t offer any kind of support for jogging. And worse, since I’m trying to get back into jogging after a 3-year break and a broken foot, they weren’t helping my motivation at all. So I bit the bullet and went to a local running store to be fitted for the right shoes. My only requirement? That the new shoes not be blue.

It was so cool. They put me on a treadmill and videotaped how I run, as well as having me step on a pressure-pad that measured my arch and pressure points. From there they were able to recommend specific shoes that would offer me the right arch support, cushioning and fit. I tried on a bunch, all different brands. And fell in love with one. The cushioning, the support, the fit. It all rocked. I couldn’t believe what a difference it made in how my feet felt. I mean, I’m a gal who thinks nothing of stuffing my toes into 4-inch platforms if they’re cute enough. Wow. I had to have them. As soon as I got home, I tied them on and hit the treadmill. The result? Amazing. Suddenly, the workout was all about achieving, not enduring.

How about you? Have you ever gone in for a special fitting for sneakers? If so, were you surprised by the results? If not, would you ever consider it?

(BTW, the shoes? They’re blue. Sometimes comfort really is more important than fashion.)

3 comments:

Michelle Butler on November 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM said...

This blog has convinced me to go in for a fitting for running shoes in early 2010. I never knew it was even an option until this year. I'm so glad it worked for you!

Trish Milburn on November 12, 2009 at 11:38 AM said...

LOL! Tawny, I can so imagine you shuddering while typing "Sometimes an ugly shoe is okay." :)

I just don't think running is in my future, but I really want to do more hiking next year and would love to get some hiking boots that don't hurt my feet.

Tawny on November 12, 2009 at 9:23 PM said...

Michelle, its really worth it. And they'll fit you according to what kind of workout you do - if its aerobics, if its running, or Trish, even if its for hiking (they had a lot of hiking shoes there).

I'm seriously blown away at what a difference it makes. Not enough, of course, to wear the ugly shoes for anything except exercise, but though LOL

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon