Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Biggest Loser, Week 8

We had a change of venue this week, with all the remaining contestants going to Washington, D.C., to inspire others to think about healthier living. They met with senators, talked to strangers on the street, got as many people as they could to come to the Washington Monument to exercise with Bob and Jillian, and participated in challenges with the sights of the nation's capital in the background.

Observations from this week:

1. When I was a newspaper reporter, the thing I hated the most was called Man on the Street. I had to ask 4 random people a question of the week. I loathed it. So the challenge where they had to go up to complete strangers and try to get them to come exercise at the Washington Monument? Ugh! I thought for sure Alan was going to win with all the firefighters. Even though he didn't, it was pretty impressive showing all those fire engines rolling up to the challenge.

2. Rudy dipped down into single digits this week with 9 pounds lost, but that's still an impressive number when they didn't get to the gym as much as usual.

3. I was happy for Shay when she went under the 400-pound mark. There has been such a difference not only in her appearance but in her attitude and outlook on life. It makes me happy to watch it.

4. Rebecca was kicking it in the challenges. She was a woman on a mission in that step challenge. Poor Rudy tried, but he had a lot more weight to haul up and down on that step.

5. And yay for Amanda for having her biggest loss yet! I really think Bob is the kind of trainer she needs. It's like any other kind of coach -- some have methods that work for us, and some don't.

6. How cool was it that they got to pick veggies out of Michelle Obama's garden and make salads in the White House kitchen. I kept hoping for an Obama entrance, even though I knew the likelihood was remote. Still, it would have been really cool.

7. Tracey's actions finally came back to bite her, but here's the thing -- I'm really happy that she's been doing so well. She's come so incredibly far since that woman in the home video downing chocolate syrup right out of the bottle. It was great seeing her not only conquer a mile in D.C., but to go back and run that same mile that had sent her to the hospital in really bad shape in the the season opener was really inspiring. And she looks great.

Looks like two people will be eliminated next week. I think that will bring us down to 5 contestants.

What were your favorite moments this week? What did you find inspiring?

And who do you think will be the eventual winner of this season of The Biggest Loser?

6 comments:

Michelle Butler on November 4, 2009 at 9:42 AM said...

From the Programming Insider:

NBC had a typical Wednesday care of two-hours of The Biggest Loser (5.1/ 8 from 8-10 p.m.), which built in every half-hour and always makes a positive impact among adults 18-49, followed by The Jay Leno Show (#3: 4.2/ 7 at 10 p.m.), which always generates its largest audience on Tuesday. Sadly, though, it is still not much. Here is the half-hour breakdown for The Biggest Loser:

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 4.5/ 7 (#3)
8:30 p.m.: 5.0/ 8 (#3)
9:00 p.m.: 5.4/ 8 (#3)
9:30 p.m.: 5.6/ 9 (#3)

Michelle Butler on November 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM said...

My favorite part was that they were in DC. I was trying to recognize where they were at all times, figure out if it was August or July or when exactly, remember if I had known they were in town then, etc.

I missed the portions of the shows when Tracy decided to game play, so I did not feel great hostility towards her - though she was never a favorite. She did need to do stuff to be able to stick around given that she couldn't exercise. Man, she looked so small at the end. Such a huge difference. It was really, really dramatic - and in some ways the most inspiring moment for me. What a change.

I've just realized I don't really have a favorite this season, and that has affected how much I'm into the show this year. I do watch it pretty regularly - I sometimes have to miss for work (like last week), etc. - but I haven't found myself really rooting for anyone in particular yet. I don't necessarily care who wins - but then, the power of the show for me has always come from the transformations more than the competition.

Trish Milburn on November 4, 2009 at 11:27 AM said...

Michelle, I think I'm happy with anyone winning who is left. I like all of them for different reasons. I really like Rudy and Rebecca, and Liz cracks me up sometimes and is the "local" favorite since she's from Tennessee. And I've loved seeing the changes (both physical and emotional) in Shay.

Michelle Butler on November 4, 2009 at 1:37 PM said...

In some ways, I think if Amanda won it would be incredibly inspiring to me because this has been hard for her - she's always had the slowest rate of weight loss. I thought it was moving that she lost the most weight last night ever. Now, I know this is mostly inspired by the fact that I think I'm a slow loser (no matter how hard I try), so my heart goes out to the slow losers. :)

If I were older, I'm sure I'd love Liz. If I were much heavier, I'd love Shay. If I were a big guy who used to play football, I'd love Rudy...

Trish Milburn on November 4, 2009 at 7:41 PM said...

I like Amanda too, and it's been so heartbreaking to see her try so hard and the pounds just not go at the rate everyone else has been experiencing. So, yes, I was really happy for her last night too.

Theresa Ragan on November 9, 2009 at 12:32 PM said...

I agree that the group on this show this season is a good group. Now that Tracey is gone I don't mind who wins...although I guess I am leaning toward the men in the group...a first for me. They all seem kind-hearted and I hope everyone on the show succeeds!

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon