Saturday, November 14, 2009

Cake as Easy as...Pie

Despite the title of today's post, there's no pie involved. But there is some easy cake. I've mentioned before that I get daily e-mails from Hungry Girl, and one day is devoted to reader questions. This week, someone asked for the recipe for the chocolate cake Hungry Girl (aka Lisa Lillien) made on a recent episode of Rachel Ray's show. When I hear people say recipes are simple, I approach with caution. Simple to someone else is not simple to me. Cooking is not on my top ten favorite things to do. But this recipe is so simple. It only has two ingredients -- a box of devil's food cake mix and a can of pumpkin. That's it. Here are the brands I used when I made the cake this week.

















Since you're not using the liquid ingredients it calls for on the cake mix box (which lessens the calories to 181 per 1/12th of the cake), the mix will be thick when combined.




























But the cake turns out looking fine.
























And tasting pretty good too, even without icing. :)

For the full recipe for HG's Yum Yum Chocolate Cake, with instructions, check out this link at Hungry Girl. Considering we're going into primo baking season, it's good to have some options that aren't loaded to the hilt with calories.

2 comments:

Michelle Butler on November 14, 2009 at 11:33 AM said...

Did HG come up with the idea of mixing a can of pumpkin with the cake mix? Whatever made her think it would work?? How intriguing.

So, does it really taste like cake? Sweet bread? Could you serve it to others? It has splenda in it. Does it have that fake sweetener taste?

Trish Milburn on November 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM said...

I'm not sure how it came about, but I think that HG and her staff work on these recipes.

It was sweet, and moist. It wasn't fluffy like if you put eggs in it, but that's okay. It didn't have fake sweetener taste, but to me Splenda isn't in the same category as the aspartame-based sweeteners. I can't stand the taste of aspartame, so that's why I don't drink diet sodas.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon