Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Biggest Loser, Week 9

Okay, talk about a roller-coaster ending to an episode, especially for Shay. She's on top of the mountain one moment when she lost 17 pounds to become the fastest woman in show history to lose 100 pounds. A few minutes later, she's fallen below the yellow line. Even with a big loss number, when you're dealing with percentages and you're the biggest person on the show, it's hard to beat out the other people. I have to say I was surprised when she was voted off.

During the weigh-in, I felt Amanda was going to be the one to fall below the automatic-elimination red line. But it ended up being Daniel. Even though I like Daniel, I was happy for Amanda. Though she consistently gets the smallest numbers, she works so hard for each and every pound. I can relate to that, as I'm sure many of you reading this can. Plus, this was Daniel's second chance.

The downer moment of the episode for me was when Daniel went to see his teammate from last season, who was still a really big guy and kept making excuses for why he wasn't focusing on weight loss. He said it wasn't a priority. Dude, seriously, it's a priority.

So, my question for those of you who've seen previous seasons -- do they stop showing transformation moments at some point because they didn't have one for Shay tonight. It made me wonder if they're saving a really big surprise for the finale, like she's met that goal of losing 213 pounds.

Biggest head-scratcher of the night -- what was up with that smack talk between Rudy and Shay? I've been a big Rudy fan, so I didn't like this at all. It made me wonder if something's been going on that we've not been privy to. It just seemed to come out of left field for me.

Oh, and I accidentally got spoiled on something that is going to happen at the finale when I was looking around online. Wish I hadn't. I shall say no more than that.

What were your favorite moments this week? Least favorite? Now that there's a smaller field, any guesses on who will win the overall competition?

6 comments:

Michelle Butler on November 11, 2009 at 9:26 AM said...

I think Shay's mantra that she deserves to stay because of her past and because she's the biggest gets real old after awhile. Most of them got there morbidly obese, and many had really sad pasts.

It sounds like you were annoyed with Rudy during that confrontation. I was more annoyed with Shay. She made it a personal attack first. It was not the first time she'd done that. I'm guessing that she's more annoying than the blondie is around the house - or they thought she was more of a threat.

I think they didn't show Shay in the end so that you would watch the Jay Leno show and see her on that. Alas, I wasted so much time to do that. She's lost another 50 pounds and looked good in comparison to where she started.

I thought it was interesting that they finally made obvious something that has been pretty apparent since the beginning - the divide between old (mostly those married with kids) and young (the singles - and Shay). The end results really put the oldies in the power seat. There a little more mature in how they handle their emotions and their relationships. It'll be interesting to see how they break in votes when they have to do so.

Makeover week is next week, and that's always so fun - watching them see themselves as attractive for the first time in a long time - and really seeing how far they've gone is really moving.

Michelle Butler on November 11, 2009 at 9:31 AM said...

From the Programming Insider:

In the battle of the two-hour reality/competitions, NBC's The Biggest Loser averaged a 5.2/ 8 in the overnights from 8-10 p.m., beating Fox's competing So You Think You Can Dance (3.5/ 5) by a hefty 49 percent. Here are the half-hour breakdowns:

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 4.5/ 7 (#3)
8:30 p.m.: 4.9/ 8 (#3)
9:00 p.m.: 5.5/ 8 (#3)
9:30 p.m.: 6.1/ 9 (#3)

So You Think You Can Dance (Fox)
8:00 p.m.: 3.5/ 6 (#4)
8:30 p.m.: 3.7/ 6 (#4)
9:00 p.m.: 3.4/ 5 (#4)
9:30 p.m.: 3.3/ 5 (#4)

Given the expected strong delivery for The Biggest Loser among adults 18-49, it's off to the winner's circle.

Also on NBC, of course, was The Jay Leno Show, which finished third (as usual), with a 4.2/ 7 at 10 p.m. While overnight retention out of the 9:30 p.m. portion of The Biggest Loser was not bad at 69 percent, Leno is sure to drop the ball considerably among adults 18-49.

Trish Milburn on November 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM said...

Michelle, I can see how Shay's attitude could get old. In fact, hubby mentioned it last night when she and Amanda were saying why they should stay. He said, "Do you think they get tired of her crying all the time?"

I'm not saying Shay was without fault in that altercation with Rudy. I just didn't like to see Rudy in that light, even though it might have been totally justified. But I guess now that Tracey is gone, they have to give some negative looks at other contestants. I'm still a Rudy fan. He seems to have a really positive attitude. I'm just guessing there's more there, stuff that has gone on that we didn't see, that brought about that altercation.

Oh, didn't know Shay was on Leno. I muted the commercials so I could write during them, and I turned off the TV after Loser was over.

Michelle Butler on November 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM said...

What part of Rudy's actions in that altercation upset you so much? What words in particular? I saw it as he was defending himself when attacked, but I'm interested in what it was that bothered you about his actions/words/etc. I just couldn't see Rudy betraying Danny at that point because of the words he exchanged with Shay before the competition started.

Trish Milburn on November 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM said...

I think it was more the overall tone, and like I said it could have been totally justified. The "you have no integrity" sort of surprised me.

BTW, I just went to the Jay Leno Show site and watched the interview with Daniel and Shay. Shay is looking very good. I was impressed with the description of her workout regimen.

Theresa Ragan on November 17, 2009 at 8:45 AM said...

Trish, I didn't like the argument between Rudy and Shay either and the show did make it appear that Rudy started in, which counts for something. He had no reason to "make a deal" with shay in the beginning. And if he's going to do that, then he should stick with his part of the bargain, but he didn't. I don't trust him any longer.

I wanted Amanda to go. I don't think she tries as hard as everyone else. At least I don't see it.

Can't wait for the makeovers. I'm rooting for the fireman at this point.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon