Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Preventive Measures

When I rolled out of bed this morning at 6:45, I wondered how I used to do this every day for years. When I left work full-time, my body went back to a more natural sleep pattern which is getting up between 8 and 8:30 and going to bed around 1. But this morning, I was on a mission to get my flu shot and I had to be over at my former place of employment (where I still do contract work) by 8 for the employee health day where I could get a seasonal flu shot. I'd gone by my doctor's office last week to get one only to find out that they were totally out and wouldn't be getting any in until after the first of the year. Hello, that's more than halfway through the flu season.

I think the concern with H1N1 has people going out in droves to get even the normal flu shot. I know that I've lived a much healthier existence in the winters thanks to regular flu shots, so I'm a big fan. And when you've got deadlines (whether self-imposed or contracted), you don't have time to be sick. I hate the trying to catch up after being in bed sick for several days.

I would have gotten the H1N1 vaccine if it had been available, but it wasn't and they didn't have any idea when they might get some. It's possible I already had it in early September, but I'm not sure. The swine flu is behaving oddly in that it's affecting people in atypical ways for a flu. Some people weather mild cases just fine, and then others die. And it's not the people who normal seasonal flu tends to kill. There was a 13-year-old girl near my hometown who died from it. And my sister told me that one of her high school classmates is in an ICU unit with double pneumonia, swine flu and in a medically induced coma. He can't be more than 35.

I'm not being alarmist, but I think it's good to take precautions, or preventive measures, during the winter cold and flu season. Remember to regularly wash your hands with hot water and soap, particularly after handling shopping carts, money, anything that others have handled as well. Get plenty of fluids, fruit, veggies and exercise. The exercise has the added benefit of keeping you warm.

What other preventive measures do you take during the cold and flu season?

2 comments:

Michelle Butler on November 10, 2009 at 3:00 PM said...

Honestly, I don't get worked up about stuff like this. Sometimes, I'll take one of those super vitamin mixes before I get on a plane bc I often get sick after a long flight.

I'm pretty sure I had the H1N1 virus this fall around the time you did. That's what a nurse told me when I got the regular flu shot. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't the sickest I've ever been either.

Trish Milburn on November 10, 2009 at 3:22 PM said...

That was my experience when I was sick too, Michelle. I actually hope it was H1N1 because then hopefully I wouldn't have to worry about it. Just wish I knew for sure.

Have you ever taken Airborne? I've heard good things about it from people who fly often, though I've never used it myself.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon