Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Biggest Loser, Week 10

We made it to makeover week. Tim Gunn and Tabatha Coffey showed up to transform the contestants -- new clothes, new hairstyles and colors, even a shave for Rudy. It's amazing what a good makeover can do for a person, even if they do still have a ways to go before they reach their target weight. Loved Liz's and Rebecca's new hairstyles. And I felt Rebecca's pain when she told Tim how awful it had always been to try on clothes because she was overweight. I've been there, experienced that feeling of wanting to look good in cute clothes and being so disappointed that shopping became depressing instead of fun.

The family reunions just before the contestants went out to give their inspiring speeches were touching. The speeches themselves were too. Danny talking about his love for his daughter, Liz encouraging women to take time for themselves, and Rudy revealing for the first time on the show that his weight problem went all the way back to when he was a child and his sister was diagnosed with cancer and eventually died at age 14. Later in the show, Jillian finally got Rudy to dig deep and realize that his feeling of abandonment at that young age was the root of his problems. For all her harshness, I feel Jillian does truly care about these people.

Because of the makeovers and the speeches, the workouts were less this week. We saw some gym time and a challenge in which the contestants had to pull themselves across a canyon suspended 200 feet in the air. Poor Liz is afraid of heights and had to grit her way through the challenge with her eyes closed. That'd be like me having to do some sort of water challenge.

When it came to the weigh-ins, steamroller Rudy kept on rolling, shedding another 16 pounds. He set a new record of most weight lost in 10 weeks on the show. Danny had a double-digit loss, and Amanda had her biggest loss ever with 9 pounds gone. It came down to Liz and Rebecca below the yellow line, and the contestants voted Rebecca out.

After the episode was over, I kept the TV on but muted so I could wait for Rebecca's interview on The Jay Leno Show. She looks fantastic! She weighs less than I do now. And she ran a half-marathon. She also revealed the tidbit that I'd read about online last week -- she's dating Daniel, who was eliminated last week. Lots of Biggest Loser love connections happening.

We've only got two more episodes before the big finale. Who is your favorite to win? What moments did you enjoy most on this week's episode?

5 comments:

Michelle Butler on November 18, 2009 at 9:32 AM said...

Wow! Rebeccan and Daniel are dating? How cute. There have been other couples formed through The Biggest Loser. I know at least one married and have had a baby.

Very sadly, I missed the makeover portion (always my favorite part - I love the transformation) because I was going through a makeover of my own - basically trying on lots and lots of size 12s at Ann Taylor Loft (ATL). I've now lost 29 pounds (28.8 to be exact), and I'm starting to fit in more and more 12s. Today, I'm wearing an outfit that used to be my dream image of an outfit a "thin" person could wear - a black AT (Ann Taylor) skirt (bought super on sale to thin into - again a bad habit that is paying off - I couldn't even button any of the buttons other than the top one if I sucked in my waist when I got it), a medium red shirt, black tights and heels. I topped it off with a fabulously stylish size 12 short coat from ATL (also bought super on sale to thin into). OK none of this stuff was bought yesterday - but I did buy a fabulous AT medium dress ($37! people), 6 pairs of size 12 ATL pants (more than I needed but 4 of them were $20 each, one was $30 and one was $40), a nice long medium heavy sweater ($41) which will be very nice in my cold apartment and a very nice blue courderoy blazer with belt (this was the most expensive item - it was around $50). Anyway, I was celebrating how small I'm getting, and it was a lot of fun - and less than $300 total. :)

Back to TBL - I probably need to rewatch that portion with Rudy. After watching this for years on TBL (Jillian forcing the contestants to face when and why they started overeating and starting to "heal" that original wound), I've come to understand why I started to overeat and that's made a huge difference in my succeeding in this healthy journey. I think Jillian really gets it because her mom is a psychotherapist. She was on one of the shows in a previous season, and it was very powerful. Yes, I do really believe Jillian cares for these contestants (as does Bob) a lot and believes in tough love. There is a lot of lying and denial going on when you're that big - at least in my experience.

Were there any repurcussions about Shay being voted off last week? Were the trainers shocked? surprised? upset?

Michelle Butler on November 18, 2009 at 9:34 AM said...

p.s.

Do you recall any incidents that Rudy was referring to? He certainly keeps things in. I understand why, etc., bc I can do the same, but it sure lends itself to dramatic moments.

Michelle Butler on November 18, 2009 at 9:39 AM said...

From the programming insider:

NBC trimmed The Biggest Loser from two-hours to 90-minutes last night, opening the evening with half-hour animated holiday special Merry Madagascar at a third-place 4.6/ 7 in the overnights at 8 p.m. Shortened The Biggest Loser scored a typically comfortable 5.3/ 8 from 8:30-10 p.m., followed by struggling The Jay Leno Show at a last-place 4.4/ 7. Here is the half-hour breakdown for The Biggest Loser, which also scores among adults 18-49 (hence the honorable mention).

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:30 p.m.: 4.9/ 7 (#3)
9:00 p.m.: 5.3/ 8 (#3)
9:30 p.m.: 5.6/ 8 (#3)

Trish Milburn on November 18, 2009 at 11:19 AM said...

First off, congrats on the weight loss and skinnier cool clothes, Michelle! That's totally awesome.

I didn't see any reaction to Shay being voted off, but I think I missed a couple of minutes.

I don't recall what Rudy was referring to, and again I wonder if it was something we didn't see.

Michelle Butler on November 18, 2009 at 11:22 AM said...

Thanks, Trish!!

I missed the beginning, but I did wonder if they skipped the whole trainers reacting to who was voted off bc the show was 90 instead of 120 minutes this week. It just seemed like the trainers' opinion about Shay needing to stay was such a strong part of last week's narrative drive - it was a big point to drop.

I hadn't thought about that re: Rudy - that it was on the cutting room floor so to speak.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon