Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My New Calorie Tracker

I mentioned a few days ago that I was trying out a free trial of a computer program to track my food and exercise. I decided to buy this program from Calorie King tonight because I like how it allows me to click and drag many common foods into sections for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snacks. I can also customize foods and add them to my listings if they aren't in the system. Not only does it tell me the calorie count but also things like fat content, carbs, fiber, protein, etc. And it shows me in a chart how many units of each of these I've taken in for the day and how that compares to my limit as determined by what I input for my weight, height, rate of activity and weight goals (whether I wanted to lose or maintain). I actually shoot for fewer calories than it's telling me I can have, but not below the 1,200 limit that I've seen mentioned many places as the low end of the safety spectrum.

The program also allows me to put in what exercise I've done for the day, how many calories that has burned, and how that affects my allowable calorie intake. There's a check-in function that allows me to put in weekly weigh-ins and other info if I want. It also lets me track my fluid intake and lets me know how much more I need in the day. If it only had a place to keep track of steps, but that's okay. I'll put that in the check-in area.

After I've been using the program for awhile, there's a function that will let me see progress charts over time.

How do you all track your food intake, exercise, etc.? A computer program? Spreadsheet? Write it in a notebook?

Oh, and I killed a pedometer today. When I got home from running three hours of errands, I looked at it to see how many steps I'd tallied only to find it was dead, dead, dead. Luckily, I had another and strapped it on. I sure wish I knew what the step count was before the other one died. I feel pretty confident I went over 10,000 today. I've had more than 2,500 on the second one, and that's just been since about 3:30 this afternoon. Most of my walking was before that.

3 comments:

Michelle Butler on November 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM said...

For some reason, I do better when I hand write what I've eaten and how much I've exercised than when I use computer programs. I've used a notebook. For the past year, I've used the weekly paper trackers that WW gives me. I don't keep them all, so it's harder from a historical perspective.

Trish Milburn on November 3, 2009 at 9:38 PM said...

I've been doing the little notebook method too, Michelle, and I'll continue to keep track of things in that when I'm traveling and away from the computer I've downloaded this program onto. But I like how easily this adds up everything for me and breaks it down into categories.

Tawny on November 3, 2009 at 9:50 PM said...

I've used the FitDay program on and off for awhile, but like Michelle, I find I really do a lot better if I hand write it all down. I still look up the calories in my FitDay program, especially since I've added in so many recipes, etc, there, but for some reason I seem to feel more invested if I hand write my food and exercise and jouraling.

Much like writing, I have to hand write my plotting board, even though there are excellent programs out there that do the same thing.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon