Friday, November 13, 2009

Superwoman I am Not

By Nicki Salcedo

Here is the first thing that you need to know about me: One week ago, I posted my age and WEIGHT on my blog. I haven’t even reached my goal weight yet, but it was liberating to admit how much I weigh. My weight has always been a dirty little secret. My driver’s license certainly doesn’t reflect my real weight. In fact, I’m proud to say that I’m only 13 lbs over my “stated” driver’s license weight. This is what we call a victory!

Here is the next thing you need to know about me: Even though I have three small kids ages 5, 4, and 2, I was 40 lbs overweight before I started having kids. My excuses for being heavy were that I liked food and I loved to read a good book. Food and the delicious luxury of reading is a dangerous combination.

I’ve lost almost 40 lbs in the past two years. I’ve gone from a size 18 to a size 10 (depending on the strength of my Spanx). I’m taking my weight loss very slowly, because I want it to last. I feel like I’m working very hard every day. It is more than a struggle or a battle. Those are outside conflicts. I am fighting myself. I am my best friend and worst adversary. All I can do is watch what I eat and try to exercise for a minimum of 20 minutes every day. Every day!

Here is the final thing you need to know about me: Exercising and controlling what I eat has really helped me as a writer. When I have spare time, I’m supposed to do one of two things: work out or write. I’ve figuratively cut the fat out of my life. I don’t watch TV. I used to read several books a week, and now I’m lucky if I read one a month. I’m trying to stay focused. It isn’t easy. I still have a full-time job (As you are reading this post, I’m on a business trip in Minneapolis). I have a spouse (He is typing on his computer next to me as I type on mine). And it is NaNoWriMo (I’m writing longhand so I’m not even sure of my current word count).

Someone recently called me Superwoman, but Superwoman I am not. Superwoman would cook all of her meals from scratch. Her house would be clean. She would love exercising and eating healthy and would never struggle with setbacks or temptations. Superwoman would never have let herself get 80 lbs overweight.

I love Superwoman. She is sexy and cool. She is a fighter. But I do have one thing over her. Her triumph is in her perfection, but mine is in my perseverance. I hope you have a happy exercising day, a happy eating day, and a happy writing day. Your progress is never small. Always consider yourself super!

7 comments:

Tami Brothers on November 13, 2009 at 6:29 AM said...

Hey Nicki! I do think you are Superwoman!!! Seriously, I have worked with you for the past couple of years on several projects and you are amazing.

I read both your blog (8 Headed Hydra) and Trish’s daily and I can’t thank you both enough for the inspiration you instill in all of us. I have learned more about myself from my writer friends that even from my own family. You guys inspire me to be all I can be, both in the writing world and in my personal life.

Thank you for that!

Tami

Trish Milburn on November 13, 2009 at 9:04 AM said...

Nicki, whatever you're doing, keep doing it. You're looking fab. I think you're taking a very smart approach to weight loss. Over and over, I've seen people lose it fast only to gain it all back, sometimes with extra.

Trish Milburn on November 13, 2009 at 9:05 AM said...

Tami, thanks for the compliment on the blog. It makes me happy to know that people are enjoying it and finding some benefit in it.

Michelle Butler on November 13, 2009 at 9:07 AM said...

Nicki,
Congrats on your 40-pound weight loss!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They're incredibly helpful and inspiring. The following really resonated:

"I am fighting myself. I am my best friend and worst adversary."

I'm in a stretch when I'm not fighting myself so much, but there have been times when I have been my own worst enemy. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn on November 13, 2009 at 9:53 AM said...

Wow, Nicki, I won't recognize you the next time I see you! Congratulations! You're taking care of yourself and that's a wonderful example for your kids.

Nicki Salcedo on November 13, 2009 at 8:05 PM said...

I just flew in from Minneapolis and boy are my arms tired! :) And maybe I do feel a bit like Superwoman.

Tami, you are an inspiration, too. Writing and being healthy are tough things to do and you are doing wonderfully at both.

Trish, thanks for having me today.

Michelle, I'm glad you are not fight yourself right now. There are so many other fun people to fight with in the world!

Carol, you will recognize me. You probably saw me 20lbs ago. I hope to see you before I lose the next 20.

Thanks for stopping by and the encouragement!

Linsey Lanier on November 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM said...

You do look great, Nicki. Especially in that red dress. Congratulations on your weight loss. That's a real achievement.

Me? I'm a theorist. I believe in eating right. In theory. I believe in exercise. In theory. Now if I could just make the theory a practice. Sigh. Guess I need to stick around this blog more.

You are very brave for posting your weight and age. I know that had to be freeing. I haven't reached my goal weight, but I have reached my goal age. 28. Been there for years.

Linsey

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon