Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sometimes It's as Simple as Salad

Sorry about the late post. I managed to come down with the sinus infection, sore throat and aches hubby had earlier in the week, and I went to bed early. Still feel like crud today, so lucky for all of us that it's Tawny's blog day anyway. :)

By Tawny Weber

In my house, we’ve never been big fast food eaters, but often when our schedule gets a little crazy we’ll opt for takeout. Usually Mexican or Italian, always delicious and definitely loaded in fatty calories. Even though three out of the four people in my house are vegetarian, those takeout meals are still major fatty, high caloric and loaded with delicious badness. In other words, they’re making me gain weight. *g*

So lately, in my efforts to ease myself into a healthier (i.e.: skinnier) lifestyle, I’ve been focusing on homemade meals on a regular basis -- at least four nights a week, with leftovers or do-it-yourself on the other three nights. About a month into this home-cooked goodness goal, I realized that while the meals were much healthier, I was still skimping like crazy on the vegetables. Definitely nowhere near the suggested five servings a day.

Then it hit me. The perfect vegetable cornucopia. Salad. I love salad. Salad is like the perfect catch-all for veggies. Add a little dried fruit or nuts, a light dressing and it’s a perfect meal or side. Since I’ve been focusing on a big salad every day (usually big enough to provide lunch for the next day, too) I’ve been doing a lot better at hitting those vegetable servings.

What do you think? Are you a big salad eater? What do you add to yours? And do you have any hints on getting all those vegetable servings in daily?
~~~

Yesterday's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,183

Exercise: 15 minutes house cleaning, grocery shopping (My plan to do more was torpedoed when I started getting sick halfway through the day.)

Steps: 6,179

6 comments:

Michelle Butler on September 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM said...

I struggle so much with getting enough vegetables a day, and I know it makes such a difference to my weight loss when I do. Salads are helpful. Planning and trying to get creative also helps me a lot. I'm a real fan of "one dish meals" such as stews, soups, etc., and I often add extra veggies to them. Sometimes I use the food processer to chop them very finely, so I may not even notice they're there. I like to cook, so I have a bit of a clue as to what veggies to add.

I'm a carnivore, but I do try to have a meatless day once a week. I'm not always great at that, but I try. I also try to plan side veggies, buy what's fresh/in season, try new vegetables - but it's all a work in progress. I have my days when I only have one serving of veggies, and they're pre-cut carrots - or even worse, just one piece of fruit at breakfast. Healthy convenience foods can help as well. Finally, I also have to make an effort to go to the grocery store regularly enough to ensure I have fresh fruits and veggies in the apartment.

Tawny on September 10, 2009 at 11:12 AM said...

Michelle, like you, I'm big on one-dish meals. Which doesn't always lend itself to a lot of veggies, but I'm trying.

I think you hit one of the keys to the veggie struggle - regular trips to the store or farmers market so the veggies and fruits are fresh.

Trish - I hope you feel better soon!!!

Trish Milburn on September 10, 2009 at 11:21 AM said...

I struggle with the vegetables too, even though I like veggies. And I'm also a fan of the one-dish meal -- soup, casseroles, etc. Cooking isn't something I particularly enjoy, so it's always a struggle for me -- but a necessary one.

Unknown on September 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM said...

I'm just the opposite. I'm a veggiesaurus. Love fruits & veggies and have no problem making a meal out of them. I used to have a salad every day for lunch, made 2 or 3 days worth at a time, individually packaged and just grabbed one to take to work. It was a serious help when I lost weight a couple years ago. I'm trying to do that again. My downfall is potatoes. Love them. Baked, mashed, smothered in cheese, bacon bits, sourcream (even mashed). I'm also a pasta freak. And a bread lover. Honestly, I'm a carb-o-holic.

*sigh*

Trish Milburn on September 12, 2009 at 4:36 PM said...

Monica, I'm right there with you with the carbs. Love them.

Tawny on September 12, 2009 at 8:22 PM said...

Oh yeah, baby. lets hear it for carbs. I'll eat anything with potatoes. Pasta is my friend. Bread and I have a lifelong love affair going on...

I'm finding that by pre-washing and prepping the fruits and veggies, I'm eating a lot more of them, too.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon