Saturday, September 19, 2009

Adventures in Cooking

Welcome to our first Cooking Saturday. Since Michelle, who is much more the chef than I, is away on a fun and productive writing retreat this weekend, you're stuck with me. :) A couple of weeks ago, I made it a goal to make two new recipes from my Hungry Girl 200 Under 200 cookbook each week. Well, I haven't quite managed that, but I did recently try out my first recipe from there. It was called Freakishly Fantastic Faux Fried Zucchini. This came from a section of the cookbook where all the recipes use Fiber One cereal in some way. In this one, I had to use a blender to grind some Fiber One along with some ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano, then coat the zucchini in it and bake it.

I'm not sure I'd call the result freakishly fantastic, but it was fine. I mean, I didn't immediately throw it in the garbage or anything. I'd say on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being best, I'd give it a 5 or 6. One good point was that it was only 78 calories per serving. I served it (as seen in the photo) one night with fried chicken (courtesy of the Kroger deli), hominy (hey, I'm a southern gal), and steamed broccoli.

Next up from the cookbook -- BBQ Mango Tilapia.

Now it's your turn. Do you have any favorite low-calorie vegetable dishes? Do tell.
~~~

Today's progress:

Seven hours in the car torpedoed my good streak of steps.

Calorie intake: 1,375

Exercise: None :(

Steps: 5,118

6 comments:

Tawny on September 19, 2009 at 1:41 AM said...

Oh man, I love hominy! The recipe sounds okay, I love any form of zucchini. But having to haul out the blender for it? I'm too lazy LOL.

I dvr'd that new HGTV show, $10 Meals and she had the most delish recipe for both asparagus and broccoli - simply toss it in olive oil and salt/pepper, then caramelize it while roasting in the oven. I'm making the broccoli this Sun. for family dinner, I'll let you know how it is :-)

Michelle Butler on September 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM said...

I'm having a massive, bird-by-bird type moment here on the retreat, and I was dying to see what your first post on healthy cooking was going to be. Go you!!! That's great that you are trying a new recipe.

Why did this one call out to you? Are you a fan of fried vegetables?

Trish Milburn on September 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM said...

Oh, Tawny, that sounds like a neat show and yummy recipes. Will have to check that out.

Michelle! I didn't know you'd have Internet access there. I was just looking for an easy side dish, and I happened to flip to this one.

Michelle Butler on September 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM said...

I have spotty access this weekend. I look forward to reading about your next culinary adventure. :)

Theresa Ragan on September 20, 2009 at 10:39 AM said...

It looks good in the picture, Trish! ha! I have never tried hominy. I do love zucchini though. I'll let you know if I find any great recipes. I do love making my own chicken lettuce wraps! No bread and so tasty!! yummy!

Trish Milburn on September 20, 2009 at 1:29 PM said...

Oh, Theresa, are these lettuce wraps like they have at P.F. Chang's? I love those.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon