Monday, September 28, 2009

Inaccuracy in Labeling

Since I've been counting calories, I've paid a lot more attention to the nutritional labels on food products. So I was not happy to see an article today that talked about how testing has shown that nearly 1/4 of the labels are inaccurate to some extent. To me, there is something fundamentally and morally wrong with inaccurately labeling food products when consumers' health depends on the accuracy of such listings. This isn't just true of people counting calories in order to lose weight. My mom has to buy a lot of sugar-free things now, but according to the article, sugar was found in a pie labeled sugar-free at a major store chain.

If you'd like to read the entire article, you can see it here.

I guess until the labeling becomes more accurate, maybe I'll overestimate a bit on the calorie counts. When unsure, I tend to do that anyway. I'd rather overestimate how much I'm eating than underestimate. I've often wished there was a machine you could put a prepared dish into and it would tell you accurately how many calories are in it. Wouldn't that be awesome?
~~~

Today's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,123

Exercise: I'm still recuperating from being sick, but I made myself get outside and walk for 30 minutes today. Sure, I was exhausted afterward, but it was a first step back toward my normal hour of walking. Hopefully, I can get up to at least 45 minutes tomorrow. And an extra bonus -- it was a gorgeous fall day today -- cool, clear blue sky, low humidity, breezy. Perfect walking weather.

Steps: 10,120

4 comments:

Michelle Butler on September 29, 2009 at 1:30 PM said...

I've heard stuff about this in the past too. There are ways to game every system it seems. I do know that I have to work to make sure I don't underestimate how many calories have come in and overestimate how many have gone out in exercise.

Anonymous said...

I'm usually looking at the lists of ingredients on labels. I set out a couple of years ago to try to eliminate high fructose corn syrup from our diet and at the time it was in *everything*-- juice, bread, cereal, yogurt, soda, candy, etc. I was horrified to discover that almost everything marketed to kids was loaded with it. No wonder we have problems with childhood obesity! (My kid thinks I'm the "fun food" police.)

And while I was looking for HFCS, I discovered that most canned soups contain MSG, even though my local Chinese restaurant swore off it years ago! So much for Campbell's soup being good for you.

I really think we need to re-evalute processed foods. We have so many more in this country than you see in other countries, and so many of them are just awful for us. :(

Trish Milburn on September 30, 2009 at 1:54 AM said...

I'm right there with you, Michelle.

Laura, it is horrifying some of the things that are in food. And it also burns me up that it's cheaper for a family to eat junk than healthy food. I think it should be the opposite.

Theresa Ragan on October 5, 2009 at 4:09 PM said...

Trish, that machine would be awesome. They might have that some day. That's why I like the lean cuisines and then you know exactly how many calories you're eating in each meal. My mil is always buying SUGAR FREE items and FAT FREE stuff that is horrible for her. But she doesn't care because it's SUGAR FREE. Never mind that it's probably loaded with sodium and all sorts of horrible things. I think Laura has the right idea...just look for certain items on the label.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon