Thursday, September 24, 2009

10 Ways To Get More Fruits and Veggies

By Tawny Weber

Before, I wrote about using salads as a way to pile up those servings of fruits and vegetables each day and wasn’t surprised to find that it’s a challenge for most of us. The USDA recommends 3-5 servings of vegetables a day, and 2-4 servings of fruit. Most of us sounded like we felt good to get in one or two servings totally.

Here are 10 tips to add more vegetables and fruits to your day:

1. Add banana, berries or peaches to your cereal, pancakes or oatmeal.

2. Have a veggie omelet, with extra veggies.

3. Carry a box or two of raisins in your purse for snacking on the go.

4. Add broccoli, green beans or squash to a casserole or spaghetti sauce.

5. Add chopped apples, pears or dried fruit to your salads.

6. Order a side salad instead of French fries when you do fast food.

7. Pre-cut veggies and fruit and store them in individual serving size containers, ready to grab.

8. Make a smoothie from fresh fruits, fat-free yogurt and ice.

9. Switch one soft drink a day with vegetable juice.

10. Substitute salsa for higher fat condiments or cheese.

Want more ideas, tips and tools? You can check out the MY Pyramid site here.

Note from Trish: From now on, Tawny will be blogging with us each Thursday instead of every other Thursday. So, we'll have Tawny Thursday each week. Woot!
~~~

Tuesday's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,255.375
Exercise: 30 minutes cardio, 15 minutes yard work
Steps: 7,862

Wednesday's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,460
Exercise: 30-45 minutes house cleaning (forgot to time exactly), 20 minutes cardio
Steps: 10,269

I've ticked a little past the 10-pound loss mark. One of my goals for the week was to lose another pound, so hopefully I'll make it.

5 comments:

Michelle Butler on September 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM said...

Awesome, Tawny. That's so helpful. Count me as one of those folks who have a hard time getting all my veggies in. I look forward to reading your posts every Thursday too!

Trish Milburn on September 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM said...

Good tips, Tawny. Sometimes I've realized I've gone an entire day with virtually no veggies. Not good. Another thing I'm trying to change. I usually get in at least one fruit since that's what I typically eat for breakfast. But I need to add more as snacks later in the day.

Tawny on September 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM said...

I'm better with fruit than veggies, Trish, but even those I'm not great about and rarely hit the full recommendation. I'll have to do a top ten list for fruit, too LOL

Michelle, thanks!! I'm excited to be hanging out more :-)

Theresa Ragan on September 25, 2009 at 9:55 AM said...

Great tips, Tawny. Thanks!

Annie Solomon on September 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM said...

Everything sounds great, Tawny. I'm off to have an apple...

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon