Thursday, October 29, 2009

Portion Size

Since Tawny has her nose to the grindstone trying to meet a book deadline, I'm filling in on her Tawny Thursday today. Hope you all don't mind. :)

If you're like me, you're not exactly sure what a portion size actually is for most foods. So I found this article on WebMD's site very useful. I particularly liked how they used common items such as a baseball, four dice and a CD to illustrate correct portion sizes for specific types of foods. There's also a section of the site that has many more items listed than in the side show/article above. Click here to pick a type of food and see its portion size. You can even download a printable PDF portion size pocket guide.

Here's an article from the CDC on portion size.

And it seems someone else was thinking about portion size about the time I was because here's an article on the topic from the Denver Post.

Do you have any tips that have worked for you regarding portion size?
~~~

Progress:

I've started using an computer program to track my calorie intake and exercise. I'm in the initial 7-day trial now before I decide if I want to buy the program. I'll let you know how it goes and what I decide.

I haven't met my 10,000 steps the past couple of days. Yesterday, I was pretty much restricted to my office since we had workmen here cleaning the air ducts. They were here for 10 hours, in and out of all the rooms, so I didn't even approach the exercise equipment. Today was better with 15 minutes on the bike and 1 hour and 15 minutes of cleaning the house (all that dust that came from the duct cleaning). I think the duct cleaning will be worth it this winter when the heat runs a lot. The ducts were -- oh how shall I say this -- gross! No wonder my allergies acted up every time the AC or heat ran. Duh. And if I can keep the allergies and respiratory issues under control, I'll feel better and be able to exercise more. Yay, me!


Calorie intake yesterday: 1,046
Calorie intake today: 1,376 (but burned 304 through exercise)

2 comments:

Theresa Ragan on October 29, 2009 at 12:14 PM said...

that's a great article from the Denver Post, Trish. Cut all portions from a restaurant in half. My friend has lost a lot of weight just by cutting everything in half. I do have a hard time not eating what is sitting in front of me, which is why I won't let the waiter bring bread to the table. I use those half sized baggies for snacks to bring with me when I go to school, etc.

Thanks for the tips!

Trish Milburn on October 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM said...

It is hard not to clean our plates because, well, we were taught to do that. And if it's good, it's hard to stop eating. That's why we end up being too full, because the "full" feeling doesn't hit us until several minutes after we've actually hit the full mark.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon