Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Biggest Loser, Week 5

Dude, does Tracey have a lucky charm hidden up the sleeve of her Biggest Loser T-shirt? I couldn't believe she won the "Choose Teams" challenge tonight, and I obviously wasn't the only one. I'm very conflicted about Tracey. On the one hand, I can understand her strategy of always doing what is going to get her more weeks on the show and thus more time with the trainers. After all, she's there because she needs to be, and I genuinely want her to lose weight and get healthy. But on the other hand, it seems every challenge she wins earns her more enemies. Take Liz, for instance. Up until tonight's episode, I hadn't seen her get really fiery. But, whooee, did she get fired up after Tracey split up her and Danny. I had to chuckle when she said that gals from the South don't get mad, they get even. Perhaps not the healthiest or kindest attitude, but I could understand it.

It wasn't until tonight that I realized Liz is from a little town probably an hour away from where I live. So, I've got to root for the local gal. Plus, I went over to NBC's The Biggest Loser site and watched her introductory video, and something she said rang true with me. She said something to the effect of, "I'm from the South, and we don't eat healthy. It's fried chicken and biscuits." Southern cooking is really tasty, but it's got to be some of the worst food in the world for anyone wanting to stay healthy and fit.

Back to Tracey -- when she started out by keeping Daniel and Shay together because they needed each other, I thought maybe she was taking this third challenge win to rebuild some of the bridges she'd burned in earlier episodes. Not so much. You can tell that even Bob and Jillian are not liking her much at this point. That's unfortunate because it sets her apart with no support system beyond herself. The only person who has had her back, Coach Mo, went home tonight.

I felt sorry for the teams that got split up tonight, but something Rudy said to Dina made me pause. He told her he wasn't happy about being apart, but that maybe this was what she needed to help build confidence in herself, to depend on herself. A lack of self-confidence seems to be a common theme with many contestants. I honestly think that's what's keeping Dina from hopping up on that stool. She's psyched herself into thinking she can't do it. It's a mental hurdle, not a physical one.

When the blue team lost the weigh-in, I thought Tracey was gone for sure. But, hey, I should have known better. I've watched Survivor enough to know that editing is everything, and the show's editors led us down that path until Coach Mo fell on the sword because he was in pain and didn't feel he was carrying his weight. But how cool was it to see how well he's been doing at home?

Favorite players of the week:

Liz -- for getting fired up and working so hard that she got immunity tonight -- she didn't even let passing out stop her. Also, for letting Danny watch his video from home instead of seeing her own.

Shay -- for losing 16 pounds! You go, girl!

Rudy -- for sticking by Dina and telling her what she needs to hear even though they aren't on the same team anymore.

What were the highlights of the episode for you? Anything you saw or hear really resonate?
~~~

Today's progress:

It's Day 1 of my Pre-Holiday Weight Loss Challenge (which, sadly, no one has joined me in), so I had that in mind all day.

Calorie intake: 632 (Too low, but I slept in today and my eating schedule was off and I had one less meal than normal.)

Exercise: 3 hours of push mowing

Steps: 16,591

3 comments:

Michelle Butler on October 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM said...

I was traveling and didn't get to watch it. It sounds like it was another good episode.

From the Programming Insider:

As always, NBC's The Biggest Loser did not look all that impressive based on the overnights, with a 5.1/ 8 from 8-10 p.m. But expect plenty of interest among key among adults 18-49 once the fast affiliate results are posted at PIFeedback. Here is the half-hour breakdown for The Biggest Loser:

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 4.7/ 8 (#2)
8:30 p.m.: 4.8/ 8 (#2)
9:00 p.m.: 5.1/ 8 (#3)
9:30 p.m.: 5.6/ 9 (#3)

Theresa Ragan on October 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM said...

that show last night got me SO fired up! I was rooting for Liz all the way. And you're right, it's not healthy at all to want revenge, but I wanted it right along with Liz. Tracey is a back-stabber. As soon as someone asks her to consider keeping two people together, etc., you can bet your bottom dollar that she's going to split them up. and she never should have said that she was listening to her heart when she kept the orange team together. She could only keep so many people, she had no choice but to keep a team or two together. I don't like her attitude and she's not good for the other contestants. I'm all for a good game, but she's not playing it with honor. She's got to go.

Trish Milburn on October 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM said...

Theresa, I agree that having her there is not good for the other contestants, and emotionally I don't think it's good for her to have everyone staring daggers at her. She's become toxic to the environment. I do wonder how much they really play up this stuff in editing. It seems every reality show has to have a "villain".

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon