Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Energy Zappers

When I signed onto Yahoo yesterday to check my e-mail, I noticed one of the headlines said, "Bad Habits That Leave You Exhausted." Always looking for ways to improve my productivity and to feel rested, I clicked on it. The article talked about 9 habits that affect our productivity in negative ways and tactics for eliminating or lessening these habits.

As a big multitasker, I wasn't happy to see that doing more than one thing at the same time depletes our energy. The article specifically mentioned e-mail and voice mail, and how we are constantly stopping our work in progress to check them. To combat this, the article suggests perhaps not checking our messages at all during our most productive hours. I have done this while on tight deadlines, and it does work. That said, I tend to be a frequent e-mail checker.

Visual clutter in our surroundings actually causes us stress. This might be a surprise to some, but I have experienced this. Sometimes I just have to take a day to clean and declutter my office because it's driving me batty. And afterward? I find I'm way more able to focus on my writing.

Other bad habits discussed in the article are: being bored, poor posture, breathing toxic indoor air, eating too much at once, living in artificial light, listening to Negative Nellies, and holding a grudge.

To see the full article, click here.
~~~

Monday's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,400

Exercise: 2 hours weedeating, pulling weeds and other yard work; 30 minutes vacuuming and cleaning house

Steps:12,753

2 comments:

Theresa Ragan on October 20, 2009 at 8:30 AM said...

Yes, most of these things exhaust me...especially listening to negative nellies and/or holding a grudge. I love fresh air. The multi tasking thing is a surprise, since I always feel more energetic when I get a lot done!

I need to pay attention to my posture, too.

thanks, trish! Have a great day!

Michelle Butler on October 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM said...

I'm so bad with the visual clutter, and I realize it's bad for me.

There have been lots of negative news stories about mutlitasking lately, so I'm not surprised that was on the list.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon