Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Biggest Loser, Week 4

This week offered more temptation to the contestants in the form of having to order out for every meal. Gone was the safety of knowing that all the foods in the stocked Biggest Loser kitchen were healthy, fresh and organic. Everyone was faced with having to really examine restaurant menus and determining which choices were healthiest. They had to learn how to order their food prepared and be willing to resist temptations and to send food back to the kitchen if it wasn't prepared as they asked.

As someone who loves to eat out and who doesn't enjoy the process of cooking like Julio said he does, this episode hit home. I am proud of the times that I've looked at menus online before going out to eat so I'd know which wise choices to make. Not so much the times I've given in to the temptation of things like chips and queso dip.

Considering the eating situation this week, the weigh-in was impressive. We've still not had anyone with a weight gain, though Daniel lost zero pounds this week. Rudy is continuing to put up double digit losses each week, and he's steadily becoming one of my favorite contestants. Even though she could do no exercise at all and actually was told by the doctor not to lose any weight, Tracey lost 4 pounds. This makes me wonder if she was getting in some exercise surreptitiously or if she just really watched her calorie intake.

This time around, it was Danny and Liz (brown team) and Julio (the only remaining member of the black team) who fell below the yellow potential-elimination line. More tears ensued as no one wanted either team to go home. In the end, however, Julio was voted out. One of my favorite parts of the show, though, is when they show how the person voted out is doing now. So far, they've all been doing great and have continued to work out, eat healthily and lose weight at home. Julio has lost a tremendous amount of weight and is really dedicated to going to the gym and working out, says he looks forward to it. It's really impressive. As he said, sometimes a person just needs a kick start.

What are your favorite moments and observations from this week's episode?
~~~

Today's progress:

Not proud of myself today. I allowed myself to stay in the lazy funk. This HAS to stop tomorrow. I know that I have to work harder once it starts getting cooler, the days get shorter and there are more cloudy days. I tend to get lazy and just want to stay curled up under covers. I need to keep reminding myself that exercise will help me stay warm and improve my mood.

Calorie intake: 2,522 (Wow, I'm embarrassed. This might be overestimated to some extent because I had to guess on some of the things I ate. That's never a good situation to get in.)

Exercise: None

Steps: 3,939

7 comments:

Michelle Butler on October 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM said...

I was so impressed that the contestants were able to lose weight even though they ate every meal out. That was a very important lesson/ example for me. I hadn't expected any of them to do that well.

Has anyone ever explained what is wrong with Tracey? When they tell her her muscle is damaged - is it the heart? I just don't get why she can't exercise or can't lose weight. I've never heard of a doctor telling a fat person you can't lose weight. It confuses me greatly.

I'm not surprised that Tracey can lose weight without exercising. I've seen lots of folks do it at WW. When you start that heavy, you can lose big numbers the first few weeks too. She probably ate A LOT on a regular basis at home, and it sounds like she was a binger too.

This is the 2nd time Julio feel below the yellow line. It's not entirely a surprise he'd be sent home.

The other thing that I personally find interesting/good-for-me is that when the trainers call the contestants on bad or self- sabotaging (sp?) behavior - I've recognized it beforehand and know what they will say. I hope that means I'm getting healthier in my outlook and behaviors.

Michelle Butler on October 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM said...

Trish - everyone has bad days. Beating yourself up about it won't ultimately be helpful. I know we've talked about it before, but I think you should get one of those seasonal disorder bright lamps and put it in your office.

Michelle Butler on October 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM said...

From the Programming Insider:

Next up was NBC with its combination of two-hours of The Biggest Loser (4.9/ 8 from 8-10 p.m.), which built in every half-hour, and struggling The Jay Leno Show (#3: 4.4/ 7 at 10 p.m.), which has to be considered the biggest new flop of the young TV season. Here is the half-hour breakdown for The Biggest Loser, which always successfully lands on the map among adults 18-49 (and makes it an "honorable mention.").

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 4.3/ 7 (#2)
8:30 p.m.: 4.6/ 7 (#2)
9:00 p.m.: 5.2/ 8 (#3)
9:30 p.m.: 5.6/ 9 (#3)

Theresa Ragan on October 7, 2009 at 11:25 AM said...

Michelle, thanks for the insider info on NBC scheduling. That's interesting. I haven't seen Leno yet.

Trish, my favorite moment of the biggest loser show last night was when Daniel hung on and one immunity. I was rooting for both green and orange I was really glad to see Daniel with all that confidence.

Love this show! And Trish, I agree with Michelle, don't beat yourself up. Forget it. It's in the past. Let it go. I just got back from the gym and it does feel good when it's over!! Can't say I love going, but I love how it makes me feel.

Trish Milburn on October 7, 2009 at 2:05 PM said...

Michelle, I don't know specifically what's wrong with Tracey. I'm not sure why they've kept that under wraps unless it's a doctor-patient privacy thing. ?? It does seem odd for a doctor to tell an overweight person not to lose weight.

Michelle, I do actually have two of the "happy lamps". :) I used them several winters ago, but I've not needed them since. That winter of 2004-05 was hideously dark and rainy all the time, and that's when I bought the lamps. They helped. If there's ever an extended period of dark days like that, I'll pull them out again. But luckily, it's lovely and sunny today. Went for an hour walk this morning to enjoy the nice fall weather. The sky is so clear and blue, which is a sign of low humidity -- a rarity for us here when it's nice enough to get outside.

Trish Milburn on October 7, 2009 at 2:06 PM said...

Theresa, I have to admit I was rooting for Alan at the end. I really like the green team consisting of him and Abby. I think my favorite teams are green, pink and blue.

Theresa Ragan on October 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM said...

I am confused about the Tracey thing too. I was disappointed that she was staying although 4 pounds was impressive.

Yeah, I think I'm rooting for pink and green overall.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon