Saturday, October 17, 2009

Health Recipes at Your Fingertips

There is no telling how many times I've wondered how I ever got by without Google and the vast expanse of knowledge housed on the Internet. Everything from the name of who sang that one-hit wonder song from high school to what the weather is going to be like for the next 10 days. This awesomeness extends to healthy recipes. Prior to my new commitment to counting calories, I often looked up recipes on AllRecipes.com, with good results. So I was happy to see that when I Googled "low-cal recipes", AllRecipes was one of the top search results.

When I clicked on the link, all kinds of yummy sounding seasonal recipes popped up -- things like Ham and Potato Soup and Acorn Squash Gnocchi. I next clicked on the link for the Healthy Sides and Snacks area, recipes for items that have 100 or fewer calories per serving. I found a yummy looking recipe for Chickpea and Couscous Delight that I'm going to try this weekend because I have all the ingredients.

Another link from the initial page took me to Calorie-Cutting Tactics. Among them were some smart switches (instead of eating this, eat that) and a tip stating that you should eat soup first. Studies have evidently shown that people who eat soups, especially broth-based ones, end up eating fewer calories in a day without feeling hungrier.

A sidebar takes you to areas with recipes with 100 or fewer calories per serving, 200 or fewer and 300 or fewer. And if you so desire, you can sign up for the Healthy Bites newsletter.

Do you all have any favorite healthy recipe sites you go to when you're itching to try out new dishes?
~~~

Today's progress:

Calorie intake: 1,095

Exercise: 30 minutes dance aerobics

Steps: 7,614

1 comments:

Michelle Butler on October 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM said...

I have had a lot of luck with cooking light and weight watchers recipes. If you google Cooking Light recipes, you can find a lot of ones that fans have posted in addition to a link to the official site.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon