Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Biggest Loser, Week 6

Okay, I know I picked on Tracey in last week's post, but the first thing that hit me in tonight's episode was how emotional she got when she said she hated going into the elimination room. I honestly can't decide if she's being honest or a very good actress. It seems so at odds with the little outtakes they film with each individual and pepper throughout the show. Like tonight, when talking about the black team being at home and hoping they ate cake and drank sodas. That just seemed mean-spirited. Yes, I know this is a competition and you want to win, but to me it's much different than other reality shows where it's all about the money at the end. In this one, it makes perfect sense that you'd want to win, but I think you can genuinely want everyone else to do really well, too. After all, we're talking their health and very lives here. I am very curious to see the finale, to find out if there's a lot to Tracey we're not seeing because the editors feel the show needs a "villain."

The challenge tonight of digging in the sand for the boxes of keys looked exhausting. There was one point where Rudy and Alan were standing next to each other with sweat dripping off them. I'm thinking that was a very good workout in and of itself. While the blue team's decision to give up the tickets home to stay at the ranch proved a wise one since they won the weigh-in, I have to say I'm impressed with the black team's trial run out in the real world. To have only one person gain weight and that only one pound showed determination and dedication. My jaw dropped when Danny registered a 15-pound loss while at home! But something I noticed was that he was the only one who didn't eat out. But even for those who did, I was happy to see them making wise food selections. Hopefully, they'll be able to continue doing that when they're back home for good. And it was interesting how they viewed their families' eating habits now, the same habits they had before heading to The Biggest Loser ranch.

Rudy is continuing to kick butt, registering a 14-pound loss this week. He has been in double digits every week, racking up an impressive 87-pound loss in 6 weeks. If he can hit a 13-pound loss next week, he will set a new Biggest Loser record for the fastest loss of 100 pounds.

When the black team voted Dina off tonight, I have to admit I was surprised. With Daniel posting the first weight gain of anyone this season and this being his second chance at the show, I thought it was logical to vote him off. I think his being positive and a big cheerleader to other contestants is what allowed him to stay around another week. I was really impressed with Dina's continued weight loss at home. And how cute is it that her son goes to the gym with her? And she looked great after her makeover.

What were your favorite moments this week? Things you took away from this episode?

4 comments:

Michelle Butler on October 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM said...

I think a lot of times folks decide who to vote off based on whom they like more. It always seemed to me like Dina was on the quiet side and her closest relationship was with her partner Rudy - now on the other team. Who else was she close to? Danny was liked and "admired" from the previous season - he had stronger social ties, and Dina was odd woman out. I wasn't surprised by the results at all.

It was impressive how well some of them did at home, and it was neat to get insights on their family lives. I was surprised that Shay was married with step kids. She always go on about how she is alone, and I assumed she was single. She had supportive friends too. I guess it's all childhood stuff.

The set up of the reality show is a competition and folks get competitive. It's only natural that you'd wish they'd gain more weight at home. You made a sacrifice not to go home. How sucky would it be if you lost after that sacrifice.

Michelle Butler on October 21, 2009 at 10:11 AM said...

From the Programming Insider:

Over at NBC, The Biggest Loser averaged a typically respectable 5.3/ 8 in the overnights from 8-10 p.m., building by half-hour as follows:

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 4.8/ 8 (#3)
8:30 p.m.: 5.1/ 8 (#3)
9:00 p.m.: 5.5/ 8 (#4)
9:30 p.m.: 5.9/ 9 (#4)

While this may not look all that spectacular, this will likely translate into a mid-to-high 3-rating among adults 18-49. As reported yesterday, The Biggest Loser trainer Jillian Michaels will be featured in a six-episode non-scripted midseason series called Losing It With Jillian.

The Biggest Loser led into ongoing flop The Jay Leno Show, which sunk to a distant third-place 4.1/ 7 at 10 p.m. Comparably, although retention for Jay Leno out of the 9:30 p.m. portion of The Biggest Loser was respectable at 69 percent, it will not be as nearly as high among adults 18-49.

Trish Milburn on October 21, 2009 at 1:07 PM said...

Michelle, I had the same reaction to Shay's home situation.

Do you know more about the Jillian Michaels show? Like, what is the format going to be?

Michelle Butler on October 21, 2009 at 2:04 PM said...

Unfortunately, I don't. I've given up keeping up with the trades this week and already deleted yesterday's Programming Insider from my email. I bet they'll get the promos up soon during the Biggest Loser.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon