Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wednesday Workout: Should I Work or Workout?

Should I work or workout? This is a question I struggle with almost everyday. Sometimes I don’t want to give up thirty minutes I could use to finish a manuscript, squeeze in some publicity, or revise a piece I’m working on, to stop and exercise.

How about you? How do you make the decision to take a break and workout? And how can time crunched writers fit in a workout?

A few weeks ago, I came across this study about the health risks of not taking a break from work. Yikes… After I read the article, I literally stopped typing and began working in breaks and/or workout sessions because I realized if I didn’t, I could be halted for a long time with a health crisis.

So, today try to take a ten to thirty minute break and go for a walk or a run. In between or after your walk or run, try this leg workout - walking lunges.

Check out the video and link below for a step-by-step guide.

Here's another lunge step-by-step video with weights - LIVESTRONG's Lunges

What do you think? Do you like lunges?

Happy Wednesday!

7 comments:

Sally Kilpatrick on June 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM said...

No, not lunges! Anything but lunges! Apparently, I can't do them correctly--not even when a personal trainer is standing right beside me--because I strained a muscle on the top of my foot about a year ago while doing lunges.

I have this struggle all the time. I have three hours when my daughter is in preschool--do I write or do I exercise? I can't do both well in that amount of time, yet whichever thing doesn't happen in that 3 hour gets shortchanged.

I'm still hoping for something to add minutes to the day! : )

Keri Mikulski on June 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM said...

Hey, Sally!! Oh no.. Good luck with the lunges.. They can be killer.

I'm with you.. My daughter is in pre-school too and every second counts. I tried to get up before she leaves and workout.

Me too - twenty-five hours a day instead of twenty-four would work for me. :)

Michelle Butler on June 16, 2010 at 10:17 PM said...

I do best with both when I get into a routine. I've figured out that I'm so much better (in terms of productivity) at my writing when I'm exercising regularly. I think it's because the increased energy I get from the energy. So, whenever I've fallen off the wagon on my good habits, I start with the exercise and all the other ones get easier to start.

I have heard some trainers/exercise gurus say that you can get all the exercise you need in a day in one half hour if you go about it right - usually intervals. What do you think of that idea?

Tawny on June 17, 2010 at 12:23 AM said...

Write. Almost always, the writing comes first. Hence, the size of my jeans...

I'm working really hard, though, to make sure I get the exercise in, too. Rachel I love the reminder to get up and move every once in awhile. I really need to do that!!

btw, I hate lunges *g* My knees are bad so I always feel like I'm going to fall on my face. I love squats though!

Keri Mikulski on June 17, 2010 at 7:41 AM said...

Hey, Michelle! Good point about the energy. I totally agree! That's all you need is one half hour. Over the course of the summer, I'll add in exercises like today's lunge.. What a great idea! By the end of the summer, you guys will have a ton of things to do in a half hour. :)

Hey, Tawny! When it pays the bills, it's hard to put it down. And writing isn't a job we can clock out of.. It's always there. :) I prefer squats over lunges too.. :)

Trish Milburn on June 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM said...

Considering I've been at the computer all week doing revisions, I really needed to see this. I do make myself get up and take breaks -- to do things like wash the dishes or throw more clothes in the washing machine -- but I need to fit in mini exercise breaks. After reading your post and the article you linked to, I immediately got up and did my 10 lunges on both sides. Granted, I'm not a very graceful lunger, but I got the job done.

Keri Mikulski on June 18, 2010 at 5:01 PM said...

Yay, Trish!!! :) Good stuff. :)

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon