Thursday, June 10, 2010

Back At It.

I've had one heckuva month. A major deadline, changes to a book the last week before it was due, the end of school, testing, a trip to Vegas, line edits, writing two short synopses for previous books, and a few dozen other things.

In other words life.

We all have it happen. It's a given that things are going to get crazy from time to time. That we'll have intense stress and demands on our energy.

I don't mind that. What I do mind is that I let it derail my awesome exercise progress. For over 100 days, I'd exercised 6 days a week for at least an hour a day. I'd kicked butt. I was in the groove and even more important, I was in the habit. I didn't even have to think twice about whether I'd workout, I just knew I would.

It was a great feeling.

I miss it.

Because I know darned well that when I get up today (its midnight as I write this, so it'll be later when I get up *g*) I'm not going to be in the habit. I won't recognize the groove. I won't want to exercise and will care less about how great it'll feel after I'm done. I'll look at the big pile of excuses (laundry, time with the kids after 16 nights of no kid time, cleaning the pantry, prepping the yard for the new patio, etc) and try and talk myself out of exercising. I know I will, even though I know I need to get back to it. Because, I swear, it's harder to get started than it is to keep going. It takes a good solid month before its not hard for me to convince myself to exercise.

I hate that. I'll do it anyway, but I know I'll be cussing at myself the entire time because I fell off the wagon and have to start all over.

How about you? Do you have any get-going-again tips? Do you find it harder to get started than to keep going?

Tawny Weber writes hot, spicy stories for Harlequin Blaze. In January 2010, her novella, YOU HAVE TO KISS A LOT OF FROGS, was out in the Blazing Bedtime Story anthology and her next full length Blaze,, RIDING THE WAVES, will be out in September 2010. Come by and visit her on the web at www.tawnyweber.com

7 comments:

Keri Mikulski on June 10, 2010 at 6:09 AM said...

Whew... You are busy. :)

Definitely to get started. :) I'm the queen of procrastinating especially before I go out for a run. :) I push myself and think about how I'll feel when I'm done. :)

Michelle Butler on June 10, 2010 at 9:14 AM said...

Yep, getting started is the hardest part. And, once you fall off from that beautiful place where you ask when you'll exercise and not if - it's just that much of a habit - it's so hard to get back there. I agree with everything you say. In fact, I'm also trying to get back to that beautiful place.

What helps me get back - paying attention to my body and how it feels worse for not getting the regular exercise it was used to. Exercise helps me sleep better too, so a stretch of bad sleep can get me back. The ten-minute rule can help me as well - the I just have to do this for ten minutes and then I can quit thing.

I also open myself to outside motivation. Last night I worked late, ate dinner late and was beginning to contemplate going to the gym when it was already 8:15 or so at night. I was so close to deciding it was too late. I started thinking about my WW buddies who have just started marathon training or just did a marathon. I logged into Twitter (to procrastinate) and saw a message from one of the fitness folks I follow about fitting in one more late but easy workout that night. I took that as a sign to go to the gym and do 45 mintues on the elliptical. I felt better for doing it.

Tawny on June 10, 2010 at 10:29 PM said...

Ugh, it took me all day, but I did it. Back on the treadmill. I'm out of shape after a month on my butt, so my run was more of a swift walk... but I did it.

Keri, I took your advice and told myself I'd be happy when I was done, that I could finish writing after I worked out and even dangled the "you'll even have more energy to write more" carrot. It worked *g*

Tawny on June 10, 2010 at 10:31 PM said...

I love the ten minute rule, Michelle.

and GO you for getting to the gym last night! That's awesome. You're right, too - I feel great having done it. And now my brain is already telling me to exercise earlier tomorrow. So maybe I'll find that beautiful place again without too much problem. Maybe? I hope *g*

I hope you do, too. How'd you do today? Did you get a workout?

WriterGirl on June 10, 2010 at 11:46 PM said...

that's the hard part. Sometimes when I work out too late, I can't get to sleep. Today I ended up not walking but I've got to get back on board tomorrow and for the weekend!

Michelle Butler on June 11, 2010 at 9:33 AM said...

Tawny,
I went for a long walk last night instead of going to the gym (above my typical walking for my commute). I'm not sure if it counts as a workout in that I didn't raise my heart rate to a cardio level, but it felt good. It was some form of exercise, and I wanted to do something extra yesterday.

I'm so glad to hear that your brain is already telling you to get back to exercise. I'm getting there. I have yet another business trip next week (I find it extra hard to be good on these trips when I'm already struggling in my "regular" life/routine), but I'm trying to get back into the regular exercise habit - or at least increase it from the 2-3 times a week that seems to be my average for the year.

Trish Milburn on June 11, 2010 at 1:08 PM said...

This is so similar to writing or getting back in the habit of eating healthy and tracking calories. All these good habits are most effective when our routines aren't interrupted. It takes a lot of extra effort -- particularly mentally -- to make sure we do those things when the routine is interrupted. It's hardest for me when I travel.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon