Thursday, May 6, 2010

Seeing Is Believing

I'm currently re-reading Dr. Wayne Dyer's YOU'LL SEE IT WHEN YOU BELIEVE IT. I'm a huge fan of Dr. Dyers and have pretty much read all his works. Oftentimes, when I'm feeling frustrated and stuck, I stand in front of my bookcase (which bookcase depends on what area of life I'm feeling stuck and frustrated with *g*). I let my eyes cruise the titles, and grab the one that jumps out at me as having whatever info I need to get unstuck.

My current source of frustration is with my weight journey and KNOWING that there is something beyond the simple science (calories in / calories out) that I had to overcome before I'd see the progress I wanted. So the bookcase I stood in front of was my non-fiction collection. And YOU'LL SEE IT WHEN YOU BELIEVE IT was the book I grabbed.

And on my first night of reading, I ran across this - yes, the exact answer to my frustrations...

Dr. Dyer outlines 4 simple steps for achieving a goal.
  1. Visualize
  2. Tell yourself whatever you visualize is already here
  3. Be willing to do whatever it takes
  4. and Realize there is no such thing as failure.


I love these simple, yet complexly intense, steps. I thought they'd be great focuses for the next few week's blogs, both expanding on each step and on how it applies to my weight loss journey. So next week, I'll blog about visualization, etc...

In the meantime - tell me, have you read Dr. Dyer's work, or this book in particular? Is there a self-help guru you turn to on a regular basis for reading comfort?

9 comments:

Sally Kilpatrick on May 6, 2010 at 8:38 AM said...

Tawny, I was only familiar with Dr. Dwyer in passing because I used to work at Borders and ended up shelving in almost every area of the store at some point or the other. I really like those 4 simple steps for achieving a goal.

I was just thinking yesterday, that I'm too prone to being overwhelmed and too prone to making goals that are difficult to reach. (Can we say, be published by 30? Yeah, about that. 35 and still unpubbed.) I'm thinking about posting those goals on the fridge--along with smaller goals so I can see the happy fireworks on the Wii Fit.

Thanks for sharing your insight.

Michelle Butler on May 6, 2010 at 10:49 AM said...

I've not ever read any of Dr. Dyer's work. I do think I've seen snippets of him on PBS, but I don't know much about him. My favorite self-help book that I turn to for a positivity pick-me-up every so often is Jack Canfield's the Success Principles - specifically the first two sections. (I'm not as impressed to actually disagree with some of the later sections.) I always feel empowered after I reread those first two sections. I highly recommend it.

Other work that has helped me a lot are some of the psychology/self-help books that I've recommended in times past on this blog.

I have to brag a little. I'm wearing a pair of size 10 pants in public today for the first time in well more than 15 years, and it's such a beautiful thing. Yes, they are ATL julie (aka curvy) pants, but it feels so wonderful. I'm still around 182 and more than 25 pounds from the upper weight (155) of my WW healthy weight range for my height (5'6", but it is such a high to acknowledge this accomplishment. I can't believe it. It's honestly beyond what I thought was ever possible for years and years of my life. It's really beautiful. I'm not doing all this just for appearance - the healing aspect/ stopping self-destructive patterns is more important now - but I feel so great about myself for being able to wear a size 10 pant.

-Michelle

Diane Gaston on May 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM said...

Hooray for Michelle!!!!! How many times can I say how proud I am of you? You, girl, are MY inspiration! More effective than Wayne Dyer at the moment.

I like any motivational speaker/writer who tells us we can achieve our dreams if we believe in ourselves. I'm a big fan of positive thinking. I don't know if it works exactly like The Secret says, but I do know that how you think about yourself is very important and it affects how people treat you. And how you treat yourself.

Michelle Butler on May 6, 2010 at 1:15 PM said...

Thanks, Diane! Learning to be as kind and compassionate to yourself as you are to others - and thinking about yourself as well as you do others - is very powerful. :)

Tawny on May 6, 2010 at 3:23 PM said...

Sally, I adore Dr. Dyer's work :-) My dad gave me a copy of Your Erroneous Zones when I was 12 and I've been hooked ever since.

I think these are amazing steps to use to reach goals. In a way, they are deceptive because they look so simple, though. I'm really enjoying exploring each step and what the emotional results are.

Like you say, we often set ourselves up for failure. I really enjoy the concept of goals vs outcomes because it keeps you moving forward, while still pushing hard to meet a deadline.

Tawny on May 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM said...

Michelle, I love Jack Canfield's book too. I've taken one of his courses as well, he's got some great info.

And hey, whoohoo and congrats!!! You must be so overjoyed with your wonderful progress :-)

Tawny on May 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM said...

Diane, Michelle is a wonderful inspiration :-)

I've read The Secret and it has some hints of wonderfulness, but I have to admit, I wasn't hooked on the format or the overlying message. It was just a little too "wish upon a star and wait" for my tastes. I've read quite a few books on the Law of Attraction that are much more empowering - this one by Dr. Dyer for example. These 4 steps sum it up - visualize it, believe it, work toward it, accept nothing less than success.

Tawny on May 6, 2010 at 3:27 PM said...

Diane, I hit publish too fast :-)

Yes, I'm with you on the power of positive thinking!!! Its probably the most powerful tool we could find to achieve happiness and success!

Michelle Butler on May 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM said...

Thanks, Tawny! The concept of goals vs. outcomes has been incredibly helpful for me as well.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon