Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Freeze!

Say hello to the newest member of my family...a 7-cubic-foot deep freeze. Now I am no longer dependent on my small refrigerator freezer to store precooked foods and food items that I might get on super sale.

Hubby and I inaugurated the freezer by freezing a giant pot of hubby's homemade vegetable soup. He takes it for lunch on some days, and when we're pressed for time or don't feel like cooking much, we can pull out some soup, toast some bread, and call it dinner. That's way better for us than zipping around the corner to McDonald's.

As you can see, the freezer started out containing only some meat and some prepackaged meals. Even with the addition of the soup, there's still plenty of room. But I've already noted some recipes in my Cooking Light magazines to cook in bulk and freeze. And I've requested a couple of freezer cooking cookbooks from the library. I also thought, what better place to ask about great, healthful dishes that freeze well than right here at Healthy Writer.

So, what are your favorite freezable dishes? Recipes, anyone? And what things have you found that don't freeze well?

I'm making another big health-conscious change this week, but I'll save that story until my post next week.

And don't forget -- the Biggest Loser finale is tonight! Who will win America's vote to be the third contestant in the running for the big prize -- Koli or Daris? Who will be the overall winner -- one of those two guys, Michael or Ashley? Who will win the lose-at-home prize? I'm anxious to find out and to be amazed by everyone's transformations.

2 comments:

Michelle Butler on May 25, 2010 at 9:45 AM said...

Congrats, Trish. I can't wait to hear what recipes work the best for you. Soups, in my experience, freeze well.

One of my freezer staples is turkey burgers. You can see the recipe at: http://healthywriter.blogspot.com/2009/09/grilled-turkey-herb-burgers.html

The two lentil-based recipes posted in the link below froze well for me too:
http://healthywriter.blogspot.com/2010/03/expanding-my-cooking-repertoire.html

The sauce based recipes below freeze well, but you may find them too complicated:
http://healthywriter.blogspot.com/2010/04/creating-my-own-delicious-pasta-sauce.html

Trish Milburn on May 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM said...

Thanks for all the recipes, Michelle. I'll check them out.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon