Monday, May 3, 2010

Dealing with the Unexpected

We've talked here many times about how much easier it is to stick with our fitness and dietary plans when we're living our normal routine and how hard it is when those routines are interrupted. I want to find ways to learn to be focused and extra dedicated when those routines go out the window. I'll admit that over the past three days, I've not exercised or watched what I've eaten. I could use the excuse that these are extraordinary times as we deal with massive flooding here in Nashville. But there's really no reason why I haven't exercised or eaten what I should other than I just didn't. After all, luckily my home is not one of the hundreds that have been inundated with water. Instead, I've been sitting in front of the TV news coverage of water rescues and the flooding of major Nashville sites such as the Grand Ole Opry House and the Titans football stadium.

On Saturday, while I was stuck along with several other people at a bookstore as it monsooned outside and one tornado warning after another had our eyes glued to the radar, I allowed myself to be tempted by a slice of cheesecake. At the time, a friend and I joked about it. She has lost a tremendous amount of weight on Weight Watchers and looks great, but she said if she was going to be taken out by a tornado, she wanted to be eating pound cake when it happened. Yes, we were probably fighting a bit of nerves by reaching for comfort foods, but I should have drawn the line at Saturday. Instead, I've let it creep into two more days, and the scales is showing the results of that.

So today, I need to go for a walk. I need to put on some up-tempo music and do some dance aerobics. It'll have the added benefit of keeping me away from constantly watching the latest reports of devastation from across the city I call home. Maybe I'll see if I can go volunteer with some of the relief efforts. I saw some people with Hands On Nashville sandbagging to protect a part of town today, and I had the thought, "Hey, that looks like good exercise as well as a good cause."

4 comments:

Sally Kilpatrick on May 4, 2010 at 6:48 AM said...

Trish, I don't know what to say. I'm just sick about the whole thing, and I'm down in Atlanta. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in both middle and west TN but especially with you Middle Tennesseans. I love Nashville, and I can't imagine what kind of destruction is going on or how many of my favorite places are being destroyed. I'm just hoping that more people have been saved than were in Katrina.

I remember that hubby, son, and I were stranded in a Macon Wal-Mart once on the way to Orlando. We had to get off the road and hunker down to wait for tornadoes to pass--I had the same thought. Afterwards, we all ate entirely too much out of relief.

I think your best bet may be that upbeat music. I know I get more cleaning done when I use the "party" music channel on TV. I exercise longer and harder when I have the ipod on. Maybe it would be easier to look away from the news coverage if you knew it was just one click of the remote away?

Trish Milburn on May 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM said...

Thanks, Sally. I feel better this morning and am determined to get lots of exercise in today. I have on my exercise clothes and am ready to go.

Michelle Butler on May 4, 2010 at 9:23 AM said...

Trish, I'm so glad your house has not been flooded! The stories on the national news are so dramatic. I hope the recovery can start soon.

Sometimes that switch to EAT gets turned on, and it can be so hard to turn it off. Best wishes with your efforts. Volunteering does sound like a good idea - a way to get out of yourself so to speak and help others.

Diane Gaston on May 4, 2010 at 6:21 PM said...

Trish, I'm so glad you are safe and I feel so sad for all those who have lost houses and businesses. And so many lives lost, as well.This is a terrible tragedy.

I've been having a hard couple of days keeping from eating and I have no reason.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon