Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Different Kind of Meatloaf

Part of my journey to becoming a healthy writer is learning how to make healthier choices in terms of my eating habits. That does not mean I can no longer eat the kinds of food I've always loved. I just need to be smarter about it.

I love meatloaf and have a favorite recipe that may not be the healthiest choice to make all the time, so I've made it a mission to find healthier alternatives to add to my cooking repertoire. I used to participate a lot in the cooking conversations on the Weight Watchers online message boards, and one participant posted a different kind of meatloaf recipe. I'm a big fan of it.

Tex Mex Turkey Meatloaf

Mix together:

1 lb ground turkey
1 cup salsa (I use a smaller jar)
1 can black beans
1 small can green chiles
2 cups low fat Mexican cheese
cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper to taste

Bake at 350 degrees until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

This meatloaf seems to lose water while baking and does best baking not in a pan loaf but rather in a pan which allows some room around the sides. (I use an 8 X 8 pan.) When I take it out, there's usually liquid around the sides. Let it sit to reabsorb some of the liquid before serving. It is very yummy!

If you cut into 6 servings, it's 6 points per slice. If you cut into 8 servings, it's 4 points per slice. Enjoy!

Michelle Butler has made becoming a healthy writer a priority. She lives, works and writes in the Washington, DC, area. You can follow her on twitter at http://twitter.com/healthywrtr

5 comments:

Michelle Butler on May 22, 2010 at 2:13 PM said...

I'm stuck at LAX because my United flight to Dulles is delayed more than 3 hours. The first thing I wanted to do was buy a sweet at a bakery. Sigh. I just bought a tea latte, but I'm Still a work in progress here. :) Pretty confident I'll end up getting something excessive in the next few hours.

Unknown on May 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM said...

Michelle, that's one of the toughest things. To be stuck somewhere, hungry and impatient and just wanting something sweet to eat. I feel your pain.

Mary Curry on May 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM said...

Good luck, Michelle. The first thing I thought of when I read your tweet was that I'd find a coffee shop and get something sweet. Hope your willpower holds.

Michelle Butler on May 23, 2010 at 12:49 AM said...

Thanks, Anne! The flight took off about 4 hours late. I didn't buy something sweet, but I can't say I made wise eating choices either. Ah well. I don't really feel too bad or care much about it. I'm ready to get back at better eating and exercise habits now that my vacation is over, but I enjoyed my vacation - and food was a part of it.

Michelle Butler on May 23, 2010 at 12:49 AM said...

How funny, Mary. :) I even found the way to resist the alluring smell of cinnabun. I actually walked through the airport for about 2 hours to get some exercise in. I then followed that with a bacon cheeseburger and fries, so I'm still out of balance for the day. :) But, I'm feeling very determined and even happy to pursue a much more balanced food/exercise path this upcoming week.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon