Thursday, May 27, 2010

How Willing Are You

Three weeks ago, I talked about the 4 steps toward achieving a goal as outlined in Dr. Wayne Dyer's book, YOU'LL SEE IT WHEN YOU BELIEVE IT.

1. Visualize
2. Tell yourself whatever you visualize is already here
3. Be willing to do whatever it takes
4. and Realize there is no such thing as failure.

Two weeks ago we looked at step 1 - Visualization. Last week we discussed step 2- Having Faith. So this week we're on to step 3, Being willing to do whatever it takes.

To be honest, its this step that always trips me up. I'm the queen of visualization. I'm great with the faith thing. But the what am I willing to do? I always think 'anything!'. But the reality comes down to something more like, 'what am I not willing to do.'

To lose weight, I'm not willing to have surgery. I'm not willing to exercise more than 1 1/2 hours a day. I'm not willing to eat meat. I'm not willing to get up early to exercise.

You see what I mean? Its so easy to make a not willing list. Its more realistic and honest than the willing list. Because while I say I'll do anything, I really won't.

But what if the answer is in one of those things I'm not willing to do? What if the secret to weight loss is exercising at 5am for 2 hours, and eating boneless skinless chicken with each meal?

You know, if I had a guarantee, I'd probably do the first two and find a way around the third. Because if it works, I'd do anything. Right?

I think the hardest part of being willing to do whatever it takes is figuring out what it is that it does take. To try, give it time, allow for failures and eliminate things that don't work. And really, to not give up. Which brings us to next week's step, of course.

What about you? What are you willing to do to lose weight? And what are you not willing to do?

7 comments:

Sally Kilpatrick on May 27, 2010 at 8:53 AM said...

Tawny, I'm loving this series of posts. I worked with #2 all this week, and I've lost 2 pounds. You are so right that the difficult part is "Do whatever it takes" because, yes, I had a piece of strawberry cake last night. when I figure out how to accomplish #3, then I think this battle will be close to over.

Beth Andrews on May 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM said...

I'm loving your posts, Tawny! Like you, I'm good at the first two steps but I do get stuck on being willing to do whatever it takes. I'm getting better at this with my writing but it's still an ongoing process :-)

Michelle Butler on May 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM said...

It is so hard to "be willing to do whatever it takes" when you don't know what it will take or what will work for you. Perhaps, that's more a struggle of faith though and is really about #2 or believing that you can actually do this.

For most of this weight loss journey, I have been willing to do (or at least try) whatever it takes - or at least try what it might take to see if it will work for me. I need to renew my efforts or willingness in that area though. I've been much better in the past.

I guess what I'm not willing to do is anything that seems crazy, unhealthy, stupid, or completely unbalanced. This would be crash diet ideas, etc.

Tawny on May 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM said...

Thanks, Sally :-D I'm glad you're enjoying the 4 Steps *g* I find them so powerful and thought provoking.

And WOOOOOT!! Go you on losing 2 lbs. That's so awesome!!!! Congratulations and don't stop now ;-)

I really do think this is the hardest step, especially since strawberry cake sounds really good right now.

Tawny on May 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM said...

HI Beth :-D Thanks!!!

I'm pretty sure the 4th step is there to keep us from giving up on the 3rd step *g* I'll talk about that next week - and yes, all of these are just as difficult to apply to writing as they are to weight, aren't they?!

Tawny on May 28, 2010 at 1:34 AM said...

Michelle, I think having faith that something will come together and work really is important and key to achieving our dreams. But I also think this third step -at least for me - is very distinct and tough to get a handle on.

Like you say, not knowing what else to do or what direction to take is the hardest part.

Take writing for instance. Before I sold my first book, I did a LOT of visualization about selling a book. I had total faith that I'd sell eventually. And that faith was the thing that kept me trying when I hit walls (lines closing, firing agents, etc).

What would I do to make that first sale happen? I had a list (I really did *g*) I'd keep writing. I'd revise. I'd submit, enter contests, go to conferences, meet with editors and agents, solicit critiques, take workshops, work to improve. I'd keep plugging away until it happened. I'd never give up.

The faith was there. The willingness was there. But there was also a huge question mark over the 'what the hell else can I do to make this finally work' concern.

It was step 4 that pulled it all together, though :-D

Michelle Butler on May 28, 2010 at 10:39 AM said...

Thanks, Tawny. Your response was very helpful. I'm not sure if I'm digging deep enough on these 4 steps - or even getting how deep these steps are. They seem to be resonating with you, Sally, Beth, etc. in a more profound way than it is with me - and I want to get it. :)

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon