Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fast Food

One of my biggest challenges is finding something good and healthy to eat that I can whip together in a short time. Also, as the weather gets warmer, even here on the east coast of Canada, I’m looking for something easy that doesn’t keep me in a hot kitchen.  I always tell myself I’m going to make that vegetarian lasagna or that homemade soup but more often then not the ingredients I’ve paid dearly for end up thrown out because I never find the time or energy to make it. This chicken salad takes less time than running out to pick up something at the nearest deli. You can lose the pepper flakes if you don’t like them and it’s still delicious.

Thai Chicken Salad

Serves 4
WW Points 5
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 10 oz) cooked and shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 medium carrots, julienned
2 medium cucumbers, seeded and julienned
2 medium celery stalks, julienned
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
1/4 cup minced red onion
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1/2 ounce dry-roasted shelled peanuts, coarsely chopped


In large bowl, combine carrots, cucumbers, celery, bell pepper. In small jar with tight-fitting lid or small bowl, combine onion, pepper flakes, juice, vinegar and oil; cover and shake well or, with wire whisk, blend until combined. Pour onion mixture over vegetable mixture; toss to coat Shred cooled chicken. Line serving platter with vegetable mixture; top with chicken. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and peanuts.

4 comments:

Michelle Butler on May 8, 2010 at 10:05 AM said...

Anne,

I hear you on the need for fast but healthy food. This looks so delicious. I can't wait to try it.

Unknown on May 8, 2010 at 12:26 PM said...

Thanks Michelle. I'm always trying to duplicate meals I try in restaurants. Today I had Lime Chicken on Fococia (sp?)that I'm going to try this week.

Michelle Butler on May 8, 2010 at 1:29 PM said...

I like to do stuff like that too. How do you go about duplicating? Do you find a recipe or two to use as the base and then experiment? Or do you actually start from scratch? Have you ever been able to actually achieve making something that tasted just like the restaurant meal?

Unknown on May 8, 2010 at 5:53 PM said...

I try to find a recipe that looks close and experiment a bit. Or, if it's a salad or stir fry, something simple, I duplicate it. I often end up with a dish that's just as good. But, sometimes, nothing works quite like the original.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon