Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Don't Know Why

I've seriously been backsliding the past week, and I really can't pinpoint a reason why. I could blame hormones and cravings. I could point to having a lot on my to-do list. The fact that I'm two weeks away from my 40th birthday and not even halfway to my weight loss goal. Or maybe I'm just lazy when it comes right down to it. Maybe it's a little of all of those things that had me eating sweets, fast food, Cokes and all manner of things I shouldn't have been and not exercising nearly enough.

Whatever the reason, I have to get my act in gear. I firmly believe I can hit the halfway point to my goal by my birthday. That will be a good birthday present to myself, and it's one I'm going to start giving myself today. Sure, I've messed up a lot in the last week or two, but it's done. Those days can't be recovered or the mistakes undone. I can only start with today and go forward. Kicking myself repeatedly for unhealthy behavior will just make me feel bad about myself, which will make me want to drown my sorrows in cookies. Not a good plan. So I won't focus on what I didn't do before but rather what I will do today. I won't think about tomorrow, just today. I need to have that mindset each day. So, today...

I WILL exercise two hours.

I WILL keep my calories to 1,200 total for the day.

I WILL read at least one health/fitness-related article.

I WILL plan my Healthy Writer posts for the rest of the month.

I WILL do everything I can to have a positive attitude and outlook about my health/fitness journey and not focus on the failures.

I WILL watch The Biggest Loser and ride the inspirational high I get from watching that show to plan my "WILL" list for tomorrow.

How about you all? What WILL you do today to move yourself closer to your health/fitness goals?

3 comments:

Sally Kilpatrick on May 11, 2010 at 8:45 AM said...

I'm with you, Trish. It's backslide central over here. I decided to take baby steps. First, I am going to reestablish the exercise habit. Then, I am going to set smaller goals on my Wii so I can celebrate more often. As soon as I graduate tonight, I'm going to start on the diet component--that's the hardest part for me.

I think the biggest thing is to take small steps and congratulate yourself. Then, when you have some successes, you can make a bigger change--at least that's what I'm hoping. Poor Michelle, I dumped some of my frustrations into the comments of her post yesterday. Is it just that time of year?

Trish Milburn on May 11, 2010 at 8:58 AM said...

Sally, baby steps sounds like a good idea. Hopefully we'll both have a fabulous day. I'm starting out by having an apple for breakfast while I read blogs and e-mail. After that, I'll get to my work for the day and break that up with segments of exercise.

Michelle Butler on May 13, 2010 at 1:48 PM said...

When I'm backsliding and just lost on this journey, I find it so helpful to focus on just one thing I can do to find my way back. That may mean I commit to going to the gym 3-4 times in one week. Or, it could mean that I commit to tracking/keeping a food diary. If I'm really struggling, I can't manage to suddenly be perfect on all fronts, but I can manage to make one change. Succeeding at that one change then makes me feel more in control and helps me make those other changes.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon