Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Don't underestimate the pink ninja

It was makeover week on The Biggest Loser last night. Woot! I love makeover week, when the contestants get fab makeovers and we get to see them wearing something besides their Biggest Loser T-shirts and copious amounts of sweat. The six remaining contestants had lost an amazing total of 805 pounds. That's four whole grown men!

I got tickled by Sam's reaction, saying he loved clothes and fashion. But Daris' story of buying his pants at the farm and ranch store, right next to the tarps, made me want to cry. And you could feel the hurt Michael felt at having to still shop alone at the big and tall store. It was such a change in attitude from where he's been at the past few weeks, on that high of having lost so much. I hope he's able to rebound next week and refocus on what he's accomplished so far.

As for the makeovers, I thought Sunshine looked absolutely beautiful, living up to her name. Sam is one heck of a hottie now. Daris looks totally different with his curls cropped back. Even the haircut made him look smaller. Michael also looks totally different. I kept thinking that Diane might be watching at home and fanning herself. :) It was so touching and heartbreaking when his sister, who is also overweight, started crying and asked him to help her.

After getting a private concert with Ashanti, the contestants were off to a challenge in which they had to climb that awful Jacob's Ladder suspended 10 feet above a pool. The first one to fall off got a 1-pound disadvantage at the weigh in. The winner got a 1-pound advantage. Ashley fell off 3 minutes in and got the disadvantage. Michael fell off a couple of minutes later. This made sense since they're the two biggest people left on the ranch. The rest of the contestants went for considerably more time. Koli and Daris were the last up there when Daris finally just gave up and jumped in the pool after 2 1/2 hours had elapsed. Later, he was mad at himself for quitting because he felt he could have physically kept going, and Bob put him through a grueling last-chance workout to get him back in the right frame of mind. Bob pointed out his quote on the gym wall: "Stand up and finish what you started."

Good advice for all of us, my backsliding self included.

The popular number at this week's weigh in proved to be 9, with Michael, Daris and Sunshine all losing this amount. Ashley kept herself in the game with 10, and became the record holder for most weight lost by any female contestant in Biggest Loser history with 136 pounds lost. Her accomplishment prompted my favorite quote of the night when she said, "Don't underestimate the pink ninja." Love it!

Koli lost an amazing 15 pounds even though he had the advantage this week. Sam, who was already at his goal weight (the only Biggest Loser contestant ever to reach his goal weight while on the ranch), lost only 2 pounds, putting him and Michael in the bottom two. Even though Michael is clearly the one who needed to stay on the ranch, the vote ended in a tie. Because of the tie, the person with the lowest percentage of weight loss this week went home -- and that was Sam. But don't feel sorry for him. He is one happy dude now, living at his goal weight and enjoying his new life in L.A. with his girlfriend, Stephanie from this season. He's now helping her reach her goal weight. I love these Biggest Loser love connections. :)

Whose makeover impressed you most? Now that we're down to the final five, any guesses on who is going to win?

8 comments:

Elise Hayes on May 5, 2010 at 7:14 AM said...

Blast, I missed the episode! I had really wanted to watch it. Thanks for the catch-up, Trish!

I'm glad Sam is the one who went home. He's really achieved his goal so it's Michael who still needs the support and help now. How sad that he still needed to shop at the Big and Tall store, after all his work this season. I know that early in the season he had problems with his attitude, but I just feel like he's one of the people who most needs the help Jillian and Bob (and the support structure of the ranch) can give. Getting to a healthy weight will make *such* a difference in not only his quality of life, but the length of his life.

When's the season finale?

Michelle Butler on May 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM said...

I missed the first hour of the show as I went to dinner with a friend after my WW meeting. Even more fun than makeover night. :)

I know that there is a financial prize to this contest, but it always seems to me that the heaviest folks still need to be there more. Ashley and Michael both have a lot of weight still to lose. I'm very glad that they will still get the support they need. It does seem like a lot of emotion, and for many different issues, can hit you at any point during this journey and dealing with it is challenging. It looks like Michael is dealing with that right now.

Did you guys see any signs that a romance was blooming between Sam and Stephanie? I missed that one - though I do recall Stephanie mentioning falling in love during her "where is the contestant now" moment. Sam and Stephanie make a very pretty couple. I wonder what the draw of LA is for them. (Spoken, I know, as a real east coast person.)

Michelle Butler on May 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM said...

From the Programming Insider:

Given the severity of the competition, honorable mention goes to NBC's The Biggest Loser, which was above-average at a 5.6/ 9 in the overnights from 8-10 p.m., building in every half-hour as follows:

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 4.9/ 8 (#4)
8:30 p.m.: 5.2/ 8 (#4)
9:00 p.m.: 5.9/ 9 (#4)
9:30 p.m.: 6.2/ 9 (#4)

NBC capped off the evening with aforementioned Parenthood at a second-place 4.3/ 7 in the overnights at 10 p.m. While that may not sound like much, do not rule out a potential time period victory among adults 18-49.

Diane Gaston on May 5, 2010 at 1:37 PM said...

Yes, Trish, I was fanning myself to see Michael with his haircut and new clothes AND pride in himself.
Michael got all my tears, too, from the shopping trip, to his interaction with his sister, to his heart-wrenching plea to stay on the ranch. I was biting my nails as the votes were coming in...I like this group of Biggest Loser contestants. I think they truly care about each other and show it.
And very cool that Sam and Stephanie have a romance! That was fun to see.

Trish Milburn on May 6, 2010 at 12:26 AM said...

Elise, they said there are three more shows, I believe. So before the end of the month, just don't know when yet.

Trish Milburn on May 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM said...

Michelle, glad you had a nice time at dinner. And I didn't see any indication of the Sam/Stephanie romance on the show. I think they edited it all out. I wonder if we watched the episodes again if we'd detect anything.

Trish Milburn on May 6, 2010 at 12:30 AM said...

Oh, and I think maybe part of the appeal of L.A. is access to great fitness facilities, trainers, etc. Maybe they even have an interest in show business.

Diane, I think you're right that this group really does care about each other. I've only seen one season prior to this, but this one feels different than last. And I can't wait to see what Ashley looks like when she hits her goal weight. I bet she'll look awesome.

NEXT LEVEL Doing it RIGHT on May 12, 2010 at 2:20 PM said...

Sam Painted his nails when he was on Stephanies Team and he was always hugging her after her weigh in. They did edit a lot out. But I think Koli got jealous and started the roumor about Stephanie to get her out of there so he could have Sam for himself.

I think Ashley and Mike are becoming more than friends too. But only time will tell. Those too have so much in common. I love the BL. Thanks for the Blog.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon