Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The votes, they're getting harder on The Biggest Loser

When I turned on my TV to watch last night's The Biggest Loser, I discovered that it wasn't recording on my TiVo. After a little investigation, I realized that since Deadliest Catch's new season premiered last night and it's higher in my season pass queue, TBL got bumped until its second showing on Saturday nights. So, I'll be having to watch it live from now until the end of the season. But for this week, I missed the first 50 minutes of the episode. I turned it on right as O'Neal was screaming about winning a car for Sunshine. I'm not sure what he (and I later found out, Drea) did to win cars, but they seemed excited.

Evidently earlier in the show, Victoria had had a bit of a meltdown too because Jillian was suddenly forcing her to do a lot of sprints and confronting her about why she got to the weight she is. That's the question for all of us, isn't it? How and why did we get to the point where we realized we were overweight? I'm still digging for the deepest, truest answer to that.

In probably one of the funniest moments I've ever seen on The Biggest Loser, several of the contestants dumped Bob and Jillian in the mud and got them absolutely filthy. Watching Jillian try to outrun the group was hysterical. They all paid for it during the last chance workout, but I think it was worth it. Plus, is it just me, or does it seem like this group is particularly close with the trainers? Granted, this is only the second season I've seen, so maybe other seasons' contestants have been as well.

And how about Michael with the running on the treadmill? Hard to believe he's the same guy who came to the ranch weighing more than 500 pounds. Now he's running five miles on a treadmill. I can't do that. I can't even run one.

Last night's weigh-in was super emotional, particularly for Sunshine, who had to weigh in first, see a loss of only 3 pounds and then have to wait until the very end to realize she'd squeaked by just above the yellow line. Drea and Sam weren't as lucky, posting 3- and 0-pound losses respectively. Once again, Sam's ability to keep others motivated in their workouts kept him on the ranch and Drea was voted out. I felt so bad for her. Her body seems to work against her, allowing her to lose only small amounts despite very hard workouts. In fact, losses were down across the board this week. No one got in the double digits. Michael was the closest with 9, followed by Daris with 7.

6 comments:

Michelle Butler on April 14, 2010 at 9:22 AM said...

I had to go to a work event last night, so I saw even less than Trish did of the show. I saw the final two votes for Drea and the wonderful transformation moments. How inspiring that Drea is now a spin instructor! I loved seeing her Dad in the front row of her class. I also thought it was moving that she wants to be a trainer with a specialization of meeting the physical needs of special needs children. I wonder if she has a sibling with special needs.

Honestly, I think half the reason they are keeping Sam around is he is not a competitive threat to become the biggest loser because he did not have enough weight to lose. He started in the low 300s, right? In order to win, you usually have to lose around 50% of your body weight. That would leave him in the 150-160 range. He's way too tall and muscular to meet that.

Most of the contestants get very close to their trainers. The biggest "game players" don't tend to, but you never know how much of that is editing.

Trish Milburn on April 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM said...

I think it's really cool that Drea is a spin instructor too. And Darrell is looking healthier each time they show him.

I can't remember what Sam's starting weight is, but I have a feeling the young girls on the show are appreciating his new hotness. :) You may very well be right about the lack of competitive threat though.

Diane Gaston on April 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM said...

You know who is going to be hot when he gets to a normal size? Michael. He is already looking handsomer and handsomer as the weeks go by. I loved seeing how proud he was of himself to run 5 miles. It felt like it was a moment of internal transformation for him.

I felt so sorry for Drea. This season's group seem particularly close and supportive of each other, so it gets more painful with each elimination.

Trish Milburn on April 14, 2010 at 2:10 PM said...

I think Diane has a Biggest Loser crush. :) It is really amazing to see these transformations. When you see it week to week, you don't totally realize the changes until they put up the before photos next to the people when they're weighing in. I, too, loved the look on Michael's face when he realized what he'd done. I loved how Bob kept pushing him, and Michael just kept doing it.

Unknown on April 14, 2010 at 4:16 PM said...

Some of the contestants looks change so much that you can't recognize them at all. The guy who won last season changed so much that I didn't recognize him at the finale. I wasn't alone. He said nobody recognized him at the gym - even when they were watching promos about him on tv while running on the treadmill right next to him. I've actually had people tell me they "almost didn't recognize me". It can get dramatic.

Diane Gaston on April 14, 2010 at 9:47 PM said...

I'm not surprised, Michelle!

And, Trish, I do have a "thing" for Italian men. My husband is half Italian, and if you saw him, you'd think he was all Italian.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon