Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Big Week for the Yellow Team

This week's The Biggest Loser started off with the revelation that whoever lost 2 percent of their body weight first would get immunity. The catch was that you had to time it right before you hit the big button that sounded the siren that you were going to way in. Do it too early and you might not have hit the goal. Wait too long and someone else might beat you to it. I got a chuckle early on when Daris commented on the noise the siren made. "In Oklahoma, you hear a siren like that, it's time to grab a mattress and jump in the bathtub because a tornado's coming." Okay, so maybe I didn't need to hear that since we're officially in tornado season now.

Dr. Huizenga also paid a visit to the house to tell the contestants to be smart about their weight loss so that they were losing fat and not muscle, bone or water.

Victoria, hoping to ensure herself another week and still a bit gun shy about getting sent home, hit the button too early on Day 2. She'd only lost 3 of the needed 6 pounds.

On Day 3, there was a swimming challenge where the contestants had to swim 100 pounds, 2 pounds at a time, to their bin. When they finished, they were allowed to help other contestants if they wanted. Sam and Sunshine were neck and neck, but it was Sunshine, a good swimmer, who was victorious and won a two-week trip for two to Fitness Ridge. She, then Sam started helping O'Neal, who was sitting in last place. As others finished, they started helping Michael. The only person who didn't get any help was Melissa, who came in last and thus was saddled with the 1-pound penalty at the weigh in. This sent a clear message about how everyone felt about her being back in the game.

Early in Day 4, Sam pushed the button and stepped onto the scale. As the pounds slowly ticked up, everyone held their breath. He needed to have lost 6, but when the scale paused on 5, I got a little worried. But then it ticked up to 6...and kept going! In only three days, he'd lost 10 pounds, winning immunity. This was a big deal considering he was below the yellow line last week.

I really liked the trainer tips they did before commercials this week. Bob's was to eat bigger meals earlier in the day and downsize them as the day goes along. Jillian's was to give your body mixed signals by being strict on your calories two days a week, moderate three days a week and to relax a little on the weekends. This keeps your body from going into that survival, hold onto the fat mode.

Okay, on to the weigh in. The big numbers went to Victoria with 11 pounds (she seems so genuinely happy to be given the opportunity to be there), Michael with 9 (and hamming it up a bit), and O'Neal with 8. It was a big night on the scales for the yellow team (or I guess they're a former team now that we're into individual mode). O'Neal's loss pushed him past the 100 pounds lost mark, and Sunshine's 7-pound loss got her below 200 pounds. She's looking great. Personally, I think she and Sam would make a cute couple. Hey, what can I say? I write romance. :)

Falling below the yellow line this week, despite really hard workouts, were Drea with a 2-pound loss and Melissa with 3. Somehow I missed that Melissa was a lawyer, but it all makes sense now. She's trained to make arguments to get people to come to her way of thinking, and she tried it again tonight. But the rest of the contestants weren't having it, sticking to their "no game play" ideals, and voted her out. Now, honestly, I think game play will have to come into the picture at some point. I think they just didn't like how overt she was about it.

Even so, I think Melissa has benefited greatly from being on The Biggest Loser. She and Lance both say that their marriage has improved, and that's a huge deal. I liked seeing them running the half marathon together in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. It was also nice to hear her say that when she came to the Biggest Loser ranch, she was lost, sad, etc. -- and that she's not that girl anymore. That's so much more important than winning a big money prize. What good is money if you're unhealthy and hating life?

What were your favorite moments of the episode? What messages really hit home for you?

8 comments:

Diane Gaston on April 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM said...

I've become a big fan of Biggest Loser (and of the Healthy Writer blog!). It is remarkable that the biggest changes occur in the contestants' heads and hearts.

And I just gotta say that Michael is going to be one hot dude when he finishes his journey. He's getting more handsome each week.

Visit Diane's blog

Michelle Butler on April 7, 2010 at 9:44 AM said...

I watched most of last night's episode, and my parents watched bits and pieces (an extended Easter visit). It was so funny seeing their reactions as they had not seen it before. When Koli lost 5 pounds and Allison asked, "what happened?" my mom was so shocked. She kept repeating: what happened? He lost 5 pounds! I expected everybody to burst out in applause not react like this was a bad thing. I don't like this show. How can losing 5 pounds be a bad thing? Anyway, it was an interesting take.

As I (sometimes) struggle to accept that my average weekly loss is going to be much closer to 1/2 a pound a week and nowhere near 2 pounds a week, these numbers can mess with my head. (Last night's weigh in did not go well, so I was not in a good mood about the scale.) Now, they are much bigger than me. Some of my WW buddies who are pretty large have said that when you are around 400 pounds, it's not uncommon to go down 8 pounds in one week - but you can also easily go up 8 pounds in one week.

I also missed that Melissa was a lawyer. I think that's on purpose though. I think they wanted to portray that couple as a rough, blue collar couple. They kept stressing how he couldn't pursue his career bc of his weight and what a financial strain that was on the family. That would be less dramatic if we knew how much $ she could potentially pull in.

What were Dr. H's tips? I missed most of that? Was it all about eating "quality, healthy" food?

And, poor Victoria. That sweetie doesn't know enough yet. You'd never weigh yourself at night. She might have made it if she had weighed in first thing in the morning. It is interesting to see how strong the insider/ outsider phenomenon is among the contestants.

Trish Milburn on April 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM said...

Michelle, sorry about the weigh in, but it did come after a holiday weekend when you had family visiting. I'm betting next week's will be better.

The show does set up unrealistic expectations. Viewers have to be reminded that working out and watching what they eat is all these people are doing. I think the benefit of the show is getting people inspired by seeing how the moods and attitudes and outlooks on life change with the contestants as they get healthier.

Honestly, I was disappointed that they didn't show more with Dr. H. I was expecting some usable tips, but they just cut that out. Maybe it's on the Web site somewhere.

Trish Milburn on April 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM said...

Diane, it really is like each week, the contestants are uncovering more of the real person underneath all the weight. You can just see the confidence level go up too. Like Bob, I thought it was cool to see the difference between Michael barely able to walk up the stairs the first weigh in and running up them last night. Amazing.

Michelle Butler on April 7, 2010 at 12:01 PM said...

Thanks, Trish. I need to get over it.

From The Programming Insider:

Over at NBC, The Biggest Loser is not having one of its highest rated seasons. But considering the severity of the competition, a 5.0/ 8 in the overnights from 8-10 p.m. (with growth in every half-hour) is certainly not a bust. Take a look:

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 4.5/ 7 (#4)
8:30 p.m.: 4.8/ 7 (#4)
9:00 p.m.: 5.2/ 8 (#4)
9:30 p.m.: 5.6/ 8 (#4)

Back to me: I wonder if this season is not as interesting as past ones. I've not gotten into it as much as previous ones. Not sure if it's because they are so much bigger than previous contestants or they're just not as interesting "characters". Or, I just don't relate to it as much anymore.

Sarah the Author on April 7, 2010 at 1:10 PM said...

Thanks, Trish for a great post!

I enjoyed the swimming challenge this week. As a person with really bad knees, swimming is sometimes my only choice. I'd like to see the contestants in the water more, instead of the pool being the second class choice for those who are on restrictions. It's getting close to pool season here in the Upper Midwest, and I'd like to encourage everyone to do a couple laps in your local city pool.

I'm really cheering for Victoria and Drea, and I had no problem with the vote last night. Something about Melissa rubbed me the wrong way from minute one.

Oh, and you're right. Sunshine and Sam DO look cute together.

Deb Marlowe on April 8, 2010 at 9:09 AM said...

I have to say, I was annoyed when Michael virtuously mentioned that he wanted to continue with the 'no game playing' mode with his vote. He has been nearly as big a game player as Melissa in the past--I haven't forgotten that stacked team!

Unknown on April 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM said...

So true, Deb!! I didn't think of that, but I can't remember anyone stacking the teams as badly as Michael did. It is true that he has the most to lose, and he has to look after himself, but really, does he not consider that game play?

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon