Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ups and Downs on The Biggest Loser

Things got off to a bang on this week's The Biggest Loser when the contestants found out they would have to endure an all-day temptation in the form of a room filled with food where they would have to eat all their meals. They could choose to try to eat the most calories and thus win the ability to cast the only vote during the elimination, or they could stick with their healthy eating habits and just hope to stay above the yellow line. Most everyone stuck to the healthy eating, a few gave in a little, but Koli purposely ate as much as he could (making himself feel sick in the process) to get that vote for fear Sam would need saving if he fell below the yellow line this week. He did, indeed, "win" the challenge by consuming 4,164 calories. Of course, then he had to work them off, and Sam, being a very appreciative cousin, put him through an extra, sweat-inducing workout.

Dr. Huizenga made a return appearance and talked to the contestants about how they were progressing. Michael has added 12 years back to his life, and Ashley no longer has diabetes. It just shows how huge the advantages can be when we take our eating and fitness firmly in hand.

At the final challenge, the contestants had to use blocks to build a platform up to a tower, which they then had to climb to reach a flag. The winner won a 1-pound advantage at the weigh-in, and the person who came in last would have a 1-pounds disadvantage. Daris won, and because O'Neal took a nasty fall and had to be carted away in the ambulance he automatically got the disadvantage because he couldn't finish the challenge. And as if that wasn't bad enough, after he returned to the ranch, he got a call that his brother had died from cancer. Understandably, he was very distraught because he wasn't there to say goodbye to his big brother. He channeled his anger and pain into his workouts, but he finally broke down and Jillian held him as he cried. I had fat tears in my own eyes at this point.

The contestants got a surprise trip to the beach, where they got to work out with professional volleyball player Gabrielle Reese -- and have a little fun in the surf.

The weigh-in brought smaller numbers this week with only Koli posting a double-digit loss with 10. And in a very nice moment, O'Neal lost 8 pounds. Sunshine and Victoria both lost only 1 pound and fell below the yellow line. I hate how the editing always makes me doubt what I think is going to happen, but in the end what my gut told me came true -- Koli voted out Victoria. I don't think I could go back to that house and face O'Neal, someone Koli admittedly admires a great deal, if he'd voted out Sunshine. I was nervous for Michael and Ashley, who both had much lower than normal numbers this week, but thankfully they were safely above the yellow line.

Victoria got a bit of extra spark after Koli told her that she needed to pick it up. Well, she did. She and her mom, Cherita, who never got to spend a single night on the ranch, re-did the bike marathon that sent them home on Day 1, and this time they finished it together. Cherita has lost 77 pounds, all at home. Victoria has gone from a size 26 jeans to size 12. That boggled my mind a bit because I weigh less than she does and still can't fit into my size 12 pants. Some of the size 14 pants are still snug. I guess my weight loss isn't coming in the hip and lower abdomen areas, something I need to work on.

What did you think of this week's episode?

6 comments:

Elise Hayes on April 21, 2010 at 7:34 AM said...

Thanks for the recap, Trish! I hardly ever get to watch, so it's always fun to come here and hear about how the latest episode went.

I really admire Sam and Koli's commitment to one another--and am delighted that in spite of his 4,000+ calorie day, Koli still lost in the double digits!

And I had to laugh when I read that Gabrielle Reese was the person waiting on the beach for them. Gabrielle Reese actually went to Florida State at the same time I did (way back in the day). She was actually in my "freshman orientation group"--a group of about 15 people that met a handful of times that first semester. I just remember walking into the room, seeing her, and thinking, "I'm doomed. If this is what the other women at Florida State look like, I might as well roll over right now." It took me a while (with sightings from afar) to figure out she was both a volleyball star and an international model.

Michelle Butler on April 21, 2010 at 9:13 AM said...

How funny, Elise! You knew her when - like the lovely bones author in grad school.

It was a done deal, I thought, at the weigh in given how much Koli and Sam care for Oneal. I did feel sorry for Victoria. I always thought she and her mom were jerked around a little give the set up of the game - being sent home, not winning the 2nd chance to return, and Victoria having to be voted in on the 3rd chance. Just a little cruel. I was so happy to see how wonderful her mom looked. She was stunning. I loved that blue top!

Weight and sizes are so darn funny, aren't they? Victoria is over 200 pounds and fits in a 12? Now, you don't know if that is a 12 plus (and they may not make those so much any more - I remember august max did way back when that store still existed) or a 12 regular, but either way, it's an accomplishment. Is she tall? Exercise must make so much difference. I know, Trish, I weigh more than 20 pounds than you and we're roughly the same height. I'm not sure why our clothes fit differently.

Michelle Butler on April 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM said...

From the Programming Insider:

NBC's The Biggest Loser was in the map with an improved 5.5/ 8 in the overnights from 8-10 p.m., building in each half-hour as follows:

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 4.9/ 8 (#4)
8:30 p.m.: 5.0/ 7 (#4)
9:00 p.m.: 5.9/ 9 (#4)
9:30 p.m.: 6.3/ 9 (#4)

Capping off the evening for NBC was just renewed Parenthood at a second-place 5.1/ 8 in the overnights at 10 p.m. (and an expected first-place finish among adults 18-49).

Trish Milburn on April 21, 2010 at 2:26 PM said...

Elise, how small-world that you and Gabrielle were in the same freshman orientation group.

I was happy for Koli too. I get where the trainers are coming from sometimes, trying to break up codependent family relationships, but I think there's a lot to be said for dedication to family that goes both ways.

Trish Milburn on April 21, 2010 at 2:28 PM said...

Michelle, I agree that Victoria and Cherita have been jerked around by the show runners. That's what makes me so glad they've done well at home. I hope the show never pulls that stunt again because I think it's cruel.

Deb Marlowe on April 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM said...

Hi all! I only got to watch the second half of the show last night, but my family filled me in on the first.

I felt for Victoria. I know Koli thought he was being helpful, but I thought that was an uncalled for criticism. His relationship with O'Neal and Sunshine is the reason he voted the way he did--not because Victoria didn't work hard enough. Unnecessary cruelty, I thought.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon