Friday, March 12, 2010

Wanna Workout?

By Keri Mikulski

Hey, everybody!! Thanks so much for having me! I’m loving this Web site.

Yes, I admit it… I’m one of those people who actually enjoys working out. Well, I love the feeling after I workout. The feeling before and during…. Not so much. So why do I do it almost every day?

Like writing, exercising saves me. When I’m stressed out, I work out. When I’m suffering from a block, I work out. And when I’m angry, I work out. Believe it or not, exercising literally saves me. I exercised throughout my entire first pregnancy and recently found out after some tests that working out prevented some major circulation complications I’m genetically predispositioned to. And that’s just one of the many healthy benefits of exercise I’ve encountered over the years.

The amazing gang at Healthy Writer was kind enough to invite me today to share one of my favorite workouts for writers. Writing is tough enough without worrying about working out and there are plenty of painless ways to fit exercising into a jam-packed schedule. Check out one of the ways below.

Want to workout without having to worry about going to the gym or even getting out of your seat? Then, toss aside your desk chair for an exercise ball.

Easy to find in most sports stores, exercise balls are a cheap way to fit fitness into your day. The balls come in many different sizes and colors making this workout specifically targeted to your body’s needs.

Besides being easy, an exercise ball is beneficial in many other ways...

1. Strengthens your spine - By accessing the core, your spine will naturally align and strengthen.
2. Balance – Since you’re unstable on the ball, it forces you to stabilize your body and practice balance.
3. Abdominal workout – To stay on the ball, you must activate your core/abdominal muscles to keep yourself aligned.
4. Circulation – Because the ball makes you move, it will naturally improve circulation.
5. Burn Calories – The more you move, the more calories you burn.

Convinced to ditch? Toss your chair today and begin to feel fabulous.

Before the writing bug bit her, Keri Mikulski coached high school soccer and softball, taught seventh grade, worked as a personal trainer, and a pediatric registered nurse. Today, Keri is the author of HEAD GAMES (Razorbill/Penguin, 2011), teaches writing at Rowan University, and resides at the Jersey Shore with her family.

9 comments:

Tawny on March 12, 2010 at 2:23 AM said...

I love this idea, Keri :-D Thanks!!! We homeschool, and have found that replacing the chair for an exercise ball works great for keeping my daughter focused and un-fidgety (yeah, I know, its not really a word but it fits *g*)as she does her schoolwork. I keep thinking I should do it for myself when I write, but I'm horrible. I sit hunched over, cross legged and all tangled into a knot when I write. Then I wonder why I'm sore when I'm through LOL.

Keri Mikulski on March 12, 2010 at 6:43 AM said...

Hi, Tawny! Me too... There is such a difference when I use the ball.. Love it - that you use the ball with your daughter.. Great idea. :) Happy Friday!

Trish Milburn on March 12, 2010 at 8:54 AM said...

I'm going to have to try this. I have hideous posture, and maybe this will help. Plus, anything that will give me a workout while I have to be at the computer is a good thing.

Keri, thanks for guesting with us today.

Keri Mikulski on March 12, 2010 at 9:03 AM said...

Thanks for having me, Trish!! Let me know what you think. :)

Michelle Butler on March 12, 2010 at 9:31 AM said...

Keri,
A good friend of mine swears by this too - says it helps her back because it forces her to sit properly. I should look into it, but I fear this big piece of equiptment would end up just taking up space in my one-bedroom place.

I'm curious how you kept working out pregnant. Could you all the way to the last months? I've another friend who was able to run regularly up to the 6th or 7th month using some kind of support band.

Keri Mikulski on March 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM said...

Hi, Michelle!!

:) Too funny.. I can picture the big ball as your chair, couch, replacing everything. Go for it!! :)

Stubborness and determination. I ran up until the beginning of the third month. I stopped more because I was too nauseous... Then, I picked up running again a little bit during the second trimester. Running while pregnant freaked me out (I didn't know about the support bands).. I really admire women who run the entire time. Mostly, I walked and worked out on the ball using free weights and bands until I was put on partial bed rest at 34 weeks for pre-term labor (not due to working out). My daughter was born at 37 1/2 weeks. I had a wonderful labor (four hours) and I pushed three times.. TMI?? :) I really think staying active helped the labor and I know it helped the outcome of the pregnancy (in retrospect). I recommend working out during pregnancy, but with a doctor's approval and a lot of research and knowledge.

Happy Friday!

Michelle Butler on March 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM said...

No worries about TMI. I have heard that being fit really helps with labor. Just curious about how you did it.

Keri Mikulski on March 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM said...

Strong will, anxiety, and lots of naps... Since this was my first and only pregnancy, I had lots of nervous energy and time to burn it.. Not sure how much I'll be working out if I'm blessed with a second. :) I can email you the DVD(s) I used and some of the websites I swore by. kerimikulski@gmail.com - Nice to meet you Michelle!!

Michelle Butler on March 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM said...

Thanks, Keri. This was more curiosity on my part. I barely ever see pregnant women at the gym but have heard exercise can help a lot.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon