Saturday, March 27, 2010

More Comfort Food

I'm finding the maintenance part of weight loss a challenge. Being able to have a little of something, or a bit of everything, has brought up a whole new struggle. Portion Control. So, I've returned to weighing and measuring my portions so I can keep myself aware of how much I'm eating.

This past couple of weeks I've tried out some healthy recipes for Macaroni and Cheese. The following turned out well. But, I did cut the recipe in half so I wouldn't be tempted to eat all the leftovers.


Macaroni and Cheese
Serves 8
WW Points 6


Ingredients

-12 oz uncooked macaroni
-1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
-12 oz fat-free evaporated milk
-8 oz low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
-1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
-1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
-1/8 tsp nutmeg
-2 Tbsp bread crumbs
-2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions


-preheat over to 350 F
-cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and pour into large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream. Set aside.

-heat milk in saucepan over med. heat until tiny bubbles appear jsut around the edges. Reduce heat to low, add cheddar cheese, and simmer, stirring constantly until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mustard and spices.

-add cheese mixture to pasta and mix well. Transfer into a casserole dish

-combine bread crumbs and parmesan and sprinkle mixture over pasta.

-bake about 30 mins.

-a serving is 1 cup, but you should be able to just cut it into 8 pieces.

Anne MacFarlane is an unpublished writer from eastern Canada. You can visit her blog at www.annemacfarlane.blogspot.com. Read about her weight loss journey and see before and after pictures at Soon To Be Skinny Me.

3 comments:

Michelle Butler on March 27, 2010 at 8:39 AM said...

How impressive that you have gone back to weighing and measuring your food since you know portion control is an issue. I admire you for figuring out what is your current challenge and how you can address it. For me, portion control can be tough too.

The recipe looks great too. It still amazes me how creamy fat-free evaporated milk can make things taste since it doesn't have any fat by definition.

Unknown on March 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM said...

Michelle, I think measuring is a way of keeping me "honest." It makes me aware of how much I'm eating. I can easily fill a bowl with pasta and delude myself into thinking it's only a cup. Which is, of course, how I find myself back where I started. So, this time, nipping it in the bud.

Tawny on March 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM said...

Oh this looks so comforting and yummy, Anne. I'm going to try the recipe, and I like Michelle said, I'm so impressed that even though you've reached your goal weight, you still focus on using tools to keep yourself on track.

That's a great lesson for all of us. I think we have a tendency to see weight loss (or many other goals) as a destination. Once we're there, we don't have to travel or work at it any longer, in our minds. Big oops since, as you say, that's how we end up re-treading the same roads later on.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon