Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Let's Talk Metabolism

I'm not one of those people blessed with a fast metabolism. Sometimes I think it nods off or goes into hibernation. So when one of my daily Prevention e-mails came in with the topic "Diet Blunders That Slow Metabolism", I paid attention. The last thing I need is something slowing down an already slow metabolism. The average woman gains 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per year, so no wonder I suddenly looked up at age 39 last year and went, "Crap! How did that happen?"

One of the things I found interesting is that we should drink our water cold instead of at room temperature as the cold water intake revs our metabolisms more. Other things to consider if you feel your metabolism is flagging: not enough Vitamin D, not enough protein, and your food is covered in pesticides (tip: buy organic fruits and veggies).

Click here to read the entire piece, which covers 10 diet blunders and a sample calorie-burning day plan.
~~~

Don't forget that The Biggest Loser returns tonight now that the Olympics are over. We'll find out who won that in-progress challenge between Cheryl and Darrell. Be sure to check here tomorrow for a recap and to share your thoughts about tonight's episode.
~~~

Trish Milburn writes romance for Harlequin American under her real name and writes young adult novels for Razorbill under the name Tricia Mills. Find out more at www.trishmilburn.com.

8 comments:

Tawny on March 2, 2010 at 2:48 AM said...

Trish, I read that article, too (thanks for the tip to get the Prevention newsletter, btw *g*) and was really glad to see that I'm doing quite a few things right, and to see other things I can change. I don't buy organic as a rule, but am going to really try to budget that in.

I was VERY guilty of eating too little, and as soon as I bumped up my calories I dropped 2 lbs. My losing slowed last week, so I'm waiting to see if its hormonal, if not, I'll bump my calories up another 50-100 to see what happens. Hey, if its not moving anyway, it can't hurt to try, right?

Michelle Butler on March 2, 2010 at 10:33 AM said...

Really interesting article. I do (or try to do) most of them. I loved seeing the shout out for caffeine. I love my hot tea. :)

I'm really turning into a food freak. Wondering if I should start buying organic (I'm so frugal though!) and even starting to worry about the impact of plastics after listening to this NPR show: http://wamu.org/programs/dr/10/01/20.php#29308

and reading Nicholas Kristof's last editorial:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/opinion/25kristof.html

He mentions at the end that standard advice is to avoid plastic food/drink containers labeled 3,6, & 7 - and I spent some time checking my own. I haven't thrown out the ones labeled 3, 6, or 7 - but I'm thinking about it. The ones I use the most are thankfully labeled 5.

Sally Kilpatrick on March 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM said...

What awesome advice! I can add from personal experience that often if I'm gaining weight or if I've hit a plateau, adding dairy products will help me either loss or break the plateau.

Thank goodness for the shout out for caffeine, too!

Michelle Butler on March 2, 2010 at 1:35 PM said...

That's so interesting, Sally, about the dairy products. I've heard that advice before but hadn't heard anyone say it worked for them. It's good to hear from someone who it has worked for.

Sally Kilpatrick on March 2, 2010 at 5:09 PM said...

Michelle, inevitably, if I find myself eating right and not losing a bit, it's because I'm not getting enough dairy. I don't like milk at all because I'm lactose intolerant. Four sips of a milkshake, and I'm the Goodyear blimp. I have to make a real effort to get calcium--and apparently the vitamin D.

Trish Milburn on March 2, 2010 at 5:26 PM said...

Tawny, your comment about budgeting bring up something that bothers me -- the fact that it costs more to eat healthy and organic and than it does to eat junk. That just seems totally opposite to what it should be.

Michelle, I thought of you when I read the tea item. :)

Sally, that's interesting about the dairy. I do love cheese. :)

Michelle Butler on March 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM said...

Sally, how do you get your dairy then? What tricks do you use? Can you do the fat-free dairy products?

Tawny on March 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM said...

Oh man, Trish, don't get me started on that subject. I get so seriously angry when I grocery shop and fruits/veggies - non organic, mind you - are three times as much as the processed, unhealthy stuff filling so many of the aisles.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon