Saturday, February 13, 2010

Tomato & White Bean Soup

The first soup my sister chose to make out of her cookbook 1 Stock, 100 Soups (written by Linda Doeser) was a tomato & white bean soup. Like every other soup we’ve tried from this book, it was yummy. It was also pretty easy to make, and it froze well.

I should also tell you that the 1 Stock recipe that Linda provides in her cookbook is for Vegetable Stock. Have you ever made a Vegetable stock? I haven't. I just can't imagine it could be that exciting as a base for soup. I'm much more of a chicken stock or beef stock girl. Actually, I should say broth since I almost always used canned, boxed or powdered broth or bouillon to start my soups. Right away, I'm going to modify some of Linda's recipes. That said, I still highly recommend her cookbook.

Tomato & White Bean Soup

Serves 6

Ingredients:

3 tbsp olive oil (can use spray olive oil to reduce fat and calories)

1 2/3 cups chopped red onions (I’d never measure this - I’d just chop a large red onion)

1 celery stalk with leaves, chopped

1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

2 garlic cloves, chopped

4 cups peeled and chopped plum tomatoes (Ha! – I used a can of diced tomatoes)

6 cups chicken broth (again, use your favorite)

2 tbsp tomato paste (I’d probably opt out of this because what do you do with the rest of the paste??)

1 tsp sugar

1 tbsp sweet paprika

1 tbsp butter (I’m sure this could be optional too)

1 tbsp all-purpose flour

1 can cannellini beans

salt and pepper

3 tbsp chopped, fresh, flat-leaf parsley

Instructions:

Heat oil in large pan. Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until softened.

Increase the heat to medium. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Pour in the chicken stock. Stir in the tomato paste, sugar and sweet paprika. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, mash together the butter and flour to a paste in a small bowl with a fork. Stir the paste, in small pieces at a time, into the soup. Make sure each piece is fully incorporated before adding the next. (This whole step seems completely skippable to me on several levels.)

Add the beans. Stir well and simmer for another 5 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.

4 comments:

Tawny on February 13, 2010 at 1:08 AM said...

If this was made with the vegetable stock, I'll bet I'd love it :-) As a vegetarian, I've made vegi talk quite a few times, but honestly its faster and easier to get the low sodium kind ready-made. I keep a half dozen of those cool quart boxes of it in the pantry all the time, I use it for so many bases

I'll have to give the soup a try - the beans would add some nice protein too :-)

Michelle Butler on February 13, 2010 at 9:49 AM said...

It's a really good soup, Tawny. I hope you like it. Let me know if you want me to post the vegetable stock recipe. It included turnips, which intrigued me. I just like root vegetables - and I know that can put me slightly out of the mainstream. :)

If you're looking for another vegetarian soup recipe with protein, you may want to look at my December or November post about bringing home a taste of Ireland. It was for a curried lentil and parsnip soup. (If you don't like parsnip, I'm sure you could substitute another root veggies or perhaps even other veggies.)

Unknown on February 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM said...

OOhhh something I can make during Lent. Thank you, Thank you!
Can't wait to try it. Yummy!!

Michelle Butler on February 14, 2010 at 4:19 PM said...

I hope you like it, Mary! Some of my favorite, non-meat, Lenten meal ideas come from american heart association cookbooks - particularly the vegetarian section in its one-dish meals cookbook.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon