Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Red Line, Yellow Line

Things got changed up quite a bit on The Biggest Loser this week. Allison first gave the contestants the good news that they'd be headed to the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs to train with Olympic athletes. Throughout the show, several Olympic and Paralympic athletes worked out with and gave tips to the contestants. Nutritionists at the center talked about the different types of meals and caloric intakes athletes had to consume depending on their sports.

On the not-so-good news side, the contestants were informed that two people would be going home. That darn red line was back as well as the yellow one. Whoever fell below the red line would go home immediately.

Koli struggled a bit emotionally this week. Not only was he already struggling with his own self-confidence and self-worth, but he was shaken by John's departure last week. He had it in his head that John deserved to be on the ranch more than he did. It took a talk with Bob to put him back on the right path to believing he deserved to be on the ranch just as much as anyone else.

Speed skater J.R. Celski was on hand for the slide board challenge (which mimicked the movements a speed skater makes as he races) in which the contestants raced to see who could get to 500 slides first. It was a heated race to the finish between Sam and Melissa, but Sam edged her out in the end. The advantages that Sam, Melissa and Sunshine won in the challenge by coming in in the gold, silver and bronze spots were for naught as they just aimed their extra shots in the biathlon immunity challenge at each other. For the immunity challenge, the normal skiing of biathlon was replaced with running, and the shooting was aimed at taking fellow contestants out of the running by shooting at targets by their names. It came down to a race between perhaps the two people least able to run -- Darrell and O'Neal. In the end, O'Neal barely finished ahead Darrell and won immunity.

The last chance workout included both a normal gym workout and a boot camp at 24-hour fitness with Olympic figure skater Rockne Brubaker.

At the weigh-in, Michael didn't quite make the 100-pound record, missing Rudy's record from last season by 6 pounds. Still, very impressive weight loss with 11 pounds. The only other person in double digits was Sam, with 12. Daris lost 9, and Allison announced that he is the person with the biggest percentage of weight loss on campus so far. Miggy reached a milestone as she lost 7 pounds to go below 200 pounds. When everyone had weighed, it was Melissa's one-pound gain that sealed her place below the red line and automatic elimination. Cheryl and Darrell were below the yellow, but in another twist Allison announced that in the spirit of the Olympics their fate wouldn't be decided by votes but rather a head-to-head challenge. Everyone filed outside, and Cheryl and Darrell had to balance supports on their heads that were holding up their Olympic-style torches. I didn't see this coming, but the end of the challenge won't be shown until next week.

What moments did you enjoy this week? What surprised you? Is anyone like me in thinking that Melissa seems very genuine in her frustration about the inconsistency of how she loses and gains weight? She couldn't have meant to gain a pound this week, I don't think. Who do you think will win the challenge -- Cheryl of Darrell? And how adorable are Sunshine and O'Neal? They are just the cutest father-daughter team.

And in a total side note, anyone else really annoyed by the obvious product placements for products like Extra Sugar-Free Gum? I want to scream every time I see one. It's not that I don't think the products have value, but the obviousness of the in-show commercial just annoys me.

6 comments:

Sally Kilpatrick on February 10, 2010 at 8:00 AM said...

I have to start watching Biggest Loser again. I've been missing it since I switched my gym days.

As for product placement, I missed the show last night, but I did get concerned when I was watching something on History channel International and the commercials were for AARP life insurance, collectible coins, a fiber supplement, and one of those chairs that lifts to help you out. Obviously I had missed the memo that I wasn't the demographic for that show.

Michelle Butler on February 10, 2010 at 9:06 AM said...

I thought Melissa was in trouble tonight when she was edited so positively in the beginning. It seems to be a reality tv trick. If someone has been edited to be the villain and he or she is going on an episode, suddenly he or she is shown in such a positive, sunshiney light. I can see why I don't like her much, but it must be disheartening to have your body react the way hers is to hard work.

I know the whole Olympics thing is a trick to get us to want to watch the real deal on NBC this weekend, but I did find this show inspiring. I always love when the contestants start to believe in themselves.

Trish Milburn on February 10, 2010 at 2:03 PM said...

LOL, Sally. But that's sad that they think only older people watch The History Channel.

Michelle, I think you're right about the Olympics. Of course, I was going to watch anyway. I LOVE the Olympics.

eric on February 10, 2010 at 6:50 PM said...

My wife and I always roll our eyes at the product placement. I had actually started following Bob and Jillian on Twitter ... today Bob did an actual ad tweet for Extra sugar free gum. I unfollowed him. It's just getting to be a bit much!

Michelle Butler on February 10, 2010 at 7:10 PM said...

How funny! He tweeted about Extra sugar free gum?!? I wonder how much he was paid for that.

Trish Milburn on February 10, 2010 at 9:20 PM said...

Oh geez on the tweet about the gum. (eye roll)

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon