Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tis the Time for Making Goals

Now that all the Christmas travel is over, things are gradually settling back into normalcy. For instance, today was the first day I'd stepped on the scales in more than two weeks. Considering those two weeks held a vacation and all the holiday eating, I was truly surprised to see I'd not gained any way. That gives me a great point at which to refocus my weight-loss efforts. Surely if I rededicate myself to daily exercise, my goal being at least one hour but preferably two, and keeping that all-important food diary, I'll be able to start seeing the scale inch downward again. I challenge all of you to do the same so we can all start 2010 on the right foot and in the right frame of mind.

This week each year is when I go into serious goal-making mode. Like Michelle mentioned in a previous post, I look at how much I've accomplished on the list I made last year, move some things I haven't to the next year, and add new goals I'd like to accomplish. I break these goals down into weight loss/fitness, other personal (including bucket list items), home improvement, and writing. Considering my holiday traveling didn't end until last night, I haven't created my lists yet. But I've been thinking about them. Here's a teaser to what will be appearing on them:

1. Weight Loss/Fitness -- Lose 30 pounds.

2. Other Personal -- Take swim lessons.

3. Home Improvement -- Get new driveway poured.

4. Writing -- Spend 8 hours a day working on writing, like I would at a regular day job. I know I have on some days, way less on others, so I want to start keeping track of it.

I'm a firm believer in the power of writing down goals helping them come to fruition, so I'll also challenge all of you to take some time this week, before the New Year's Ball drops Thursday night, to create your own goals lists for the first year of the new decade. Put some goals that are easier to achieve, and then some that really stretch you. How do you break down your goals? This is a great place to share some of the things you aim to accomplish in 2010 -- hint, hint. :)

2 comments:

Michelle Butler on December 29, 2009 at 9:30 PM said...

Impressive, Trish!

Normalcy won't begin until Sunday, 1/3 when I'm back in the DC area. Right now I'm enjoying my break. Alas, that has included eating too much but I know I'm just not going to buckle down that much until I return to "normalcy" - work, my apartment, etc. I am trying to keep up my working out and show some moderation when eating, but...

Trish Milburn on December 30, 2009 at 9:44 AM said...

Just give yourself permission to be outside the norm until you return to home base. It's really difficult to keep up your routines when you're away from home, especially during a festive season that so often centers around foods, and foods we don't have at other times of the year. Good for you for keeping up with the working out.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon