Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Healthy Brain

I've become a big fan of Prevention magazine and the magazine's Web site. But as if I needed another reminder that past age 30, things start taking a lot more work to maintain, I saw an article today that began by mentioning that at age 30 our brains start a slow, steady decline. Hey, I'm a writer. I need all the brain power I can muster. But, luckily, there are ways to help keep our brains sharp.

1. Doing Internet searches has been shown to stimulate brain activity. I knew I wasn't doing all that Googling just for the fun of it. :)

2. Exercise. Hmm, this seems to be the cure for lots of things, doesn't it? The article also cites a study that says walking in tree-filled areas is even better for our brains.

3. Brush and floss. This one surprised me, but there's a link between good oral hygiene and brain function.

4. Limit your alcohol consumption. The more a person drinks, the less brain volume he/she has.

5. Eat blueberries. Studies have indicated positive effects on the brain derived from anthocyanin (the dark blue pigment in blueberries).

6. Do puzzles. An amazing University of Alabama study showed some amazing results when 3,000 senior citizens who did brain-boosting puzzles were studied.

7. Meditate. Good for stress relief, and evidently good for cognitive function.

For more detail on all of the above ways to increase your brain function, read the entire article here.

1 comments:

Michelle Butler on December 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM said...

I am such a nerd that I don't worry about brain decline much yet, but these are some great tips.

Yes, it is incredible how much exercise is supposed to help with EVERYTHING. And, yet, it can be so darn easy to fall off that wagon.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon