Saturday, January 2, 2010

You Don't Have to Give Up Dessert

A new or recent commitment to healthy living does not mean you have to give up dessert. The following recipe is for one of my absolute favorite desserts and it came from the Weight Watchers Simple Goodness cookbook from the late 90s. The combination of sweet, tart, apple and citrus flavors packs a pleasant punch.

I’ve taken this treat to dinner parties and Thanksgiving, and people have begged me for the recipe. They never complained or even guessed that I had brought a “dietetic” dessert.

Apple Oat Crumble

4 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apples
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind - aka orange zest
1/2 teaspoon fresh orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup regular oats
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons chilled reduced-calorie stick margarine, cut into small pieces
6 Tablespoons frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed

Preheat oven to 375. Place apple slices in an 8-inch square baking pan and sprinkle with orange rind and juice. Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle mixture over apple slices. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned. Top each serving with 1 Tablespoon whipped topping.

Yield: 6 servings

Points: 3.5 per serving - roughly 175 calories


Right after I moved to DC, my car was stolen. I’d not had the chance to unpack my car yet and one of the many things taken was the book that contained this recipe. I loved it so much I went on the WW boards and begged anybody who had a copy to find this recipe and share it with me. The kind person who did also shared the following: By the way, there is a picture of the Apple Oat Crumble in the cookbook and the caption under it reads: a British dessert that gets its name from the crumbly pasty topping.

Enjoy!

Do any of you have a healthy yet delicious dessert recipe to share?


5 comments:

Trish Milburn on January 2, 2010 at 11:12 AM said...

That's one of the worst feelings, having your car stolen. Been there, done that. Though thankfully mine wasn't full of stuff.

Glad you were able to get this yummy recipe from some kind soul. I think I might make it today.

Michelle Butler on January 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM said...

I felt such compassion for victims of violent crime. I felt so violated with just having my car stolen and nobody had physically hurt me. It was a long time ago now.

This dessert is really delicious - I love the sweetness and tartness of the apples with the citrus flavor that the zest intensifies. It's just delicious. Of course, baked fruit - and particularly baked apple - desserts are my absolute favorites.

I made a really great, WW gingerbread cupcake for Christmas Eve/Christmas - and really all week - dessert. I can blog about that at some point if folks are interested.

Trish Milburn on January 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM said...

The gingerbread cupcakes sound good too. It's good that I get healthier dessert recipes because I have a huge sweet tooth, which isn't always the best thing for losing weight.

Unknown on January 3, 2010 at 4:54 PM said...

Yes...some folks are interested. They sound wonderful and i am trying to find healthier alternatives for my fruit phobic 20 year old with a wicked sweet tooth now that he is moving back home.
Please share...

Michelle Butler on January 4, 2010 at 8:16 AM said...

For Trish and Mary...

Gingerbread Cupcakes
Makes 24
3 points each - roughly 150 calories

Ingredients:

2 spray(s) cooking spray
1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1 cup(s) whole-grain wheat flour
2/3 cup(s) sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
1 cup(s) molasses
3 large egg white(s)
3 cup(s) lite whipped topping

Instructions:

* Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat two 12-cup muffin tins with cooking spray.

* Combine flours, sugar, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and allspice in a large bowl; mix well. Add applesauce, molasses and egg whites; stir until mixture is moist and well-combined. Fill each muffin tin 3/4 full with batter.

* Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cupcakes to room temperature and serve each topped with 2 tablespoons of whipped topping.

Note: It's good with or without the whipped topping.

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon