Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Conflict Galore on The Biggest Loser

This week's Biggest Loser was rife with emotion and conflict. First, there was Migdalia not responding well to Jillian pushing her to open up emotionally, resulting in Migdalia walking out of the gym and saying she wanted to go home. It took Bob talking to her, then Miggy (her mother and teammate) helping her realize that she doesn't know how to express the feelings of unhappiness built up inside her to convince her to stay. I hope that she can dig deep to figure out why she feels the way she does and find a way to fix whatever the root cause of her unhappiness is.

Part of Migdalia's anger seemed to stem from the first challenge, which Sherry of the pink team won. All Sherry had to do was eat two chocolate candies (I think they were M&Ms) to win the ability to decide who would be the teachers (team members who would get to work with Bob and Jillian all week, then have to teach their teammates what they'd learned and run their workouts) and the students (those who didn't get to work out with the trainers, and who would be the teammates whose weight would count at the weigh-in).

We got to see how the two teams at home (blue and yellow) were doing halfway through their 30 days away from the ranch, though they didn't tell us how much they'd lost. I'm sure they're saving that for the big reveal in a couple of weeks. It was interesting to see O'Neal's determination in the gym. I also liked his quote about not looking back anymore: "You can't go forward looking in the rear-view mirror."

Curtis Stone gave the contestants an eye-opening lesson on healthy eating and cooking. And it was cute how Stephanie (purple team) thought he was good looking. Hey, she's not wrong. Maybe if I become a fabulously wealthy author, I'll hire Curtis Stone as our personal chef. I'm sure the hubby wouldn't mind at all. LOL!

The immunity challenge had the contestants stringing 1,000 feet of ribbon through a playground, making it as challenging as possible for whoever was going to have to untangle it. But in this show there's always a twist, and their own teammates had to untangle the ribbons -- blindfolded! The winners (the gray team of Sam and Koli) got immunity and also got to choose one of the other teams to switch who would weigh in. They ended up choosing the white team because they didn't feel Michael had been giving his all in the gym. It proved to be a well-played strategic decision because Michael only lost 10 pounds, putting him and his mother, Maria, below the yellow line and resulting in Maria being sent home.

Even though the gray team had immunity, they didn't slack off on their workouts and the posted 11-pound (Sam) and 13-pound (Koli) losses. I admire them for not using their immunity to take it easy.

More conflict erupted -- this time between Bob & Jillian and Melissa of the red team, who only lost one pound. The trainers felt she threw the weigh-in again because Lance was the one whose weight counted. She adamantly denied it, and a yelling match ensued until Bob said that the weigh-in wasn't the place to get into it. It'll be interesting to see what happens between the trainers and the red team next week.

The biggest losses of the night were posted by John (14 pounds), Koli (13), and Darrell, Lance and Ashley (all with 12).

In addition to the revelation of how much weight Maria had lost since arriving at the ranch (51 pounds), the transformation moment also showed how she's conquered her fear of water. As someone who suffers from the same affliction, it brought tears to my eyes. As soon as I meet my March deadline, I'm going to inquire about adult swim classes at the local YMCA.

What were your favorite moments from last night's show? Do you think Melissa threw the weigh-in, or was she telling the truth? Do you think Michael will step it up next week? Will Migdalia be able to have the emotional breakthrough she needs?

4 comments:

Sally Kilpatrick on January 20, 2010 at 7:04 AM said...

I missed the show last night. I've started taking Connor to Cob Scouts, but I used to watch Biggest Loser while I was on the treadmill. Jillian scares me, but I would train under her because I know she would take off every last pound.

I highly recommend swim lessons. My mom had always been terrified of the water because a cousin of hers pushed her into the deep end of the pool when she was very little and didn't know how to swim yet. She finally took lessons when she was 32-33 years old, and still proclaims that it's one of the best things she's ever done. Then, once she took the lessons, I got to go the next year. : )

Trish Milburn on January 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM said...

Sally, I think you're right about Jillian taking off every last pound. I mean, the woman is as fit as can be.

It would be really nice not to be scared of the water.

Michelle Butler on January 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM said...

Last night did seem to be full of drama, drama, drama.

I really do think that if you are very obese, there are some underlying emotional issues causing you to overeat. I agree with the trainers when they say you have to confront that and work it out to lose and keep that weight off. It just can be very painful, and you're going to fight back/fight yourself over it for awhile. Anyway, watching these emotional journeys on TBL help me with my own journey.

I'm not sure if Melissa is lying. She's certainly game played in the past, but I've also seen folks's bodies refuse to let go of the weight. If that's the case, it's not good for her psyche to be accused of throwing it. I think she's capable of throwing it though especially since she seems to be the most into game play, so who knows. I do have to admit I don't like all the yelling, and I'm with all the other contestants who half shut down when it gets out of cotnrol.

Awesome on the swimming lessons, Trish!

Michelle Butler on January 20, 2010 at 9:34 AM said...

From the Programming Insider:

NBC's The Biggest Loser, one of the few Peacock shows warranting any interest, was on the map, with a 6.4/9 in the overnights at 8-10 p.m., which should translate into more solid results among adults 18-49. Here is the half-hour breakdown:

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 5.7/ 8 (#3)
8:30 p.m.: 5.7/ 8 (#3)
9:00 p.m.: 7.0/10 (#2)
9:30 p.m.: 7.3/11 (#2)

Also on NBC was canceled The Jay Leno Show at a second-place 4.6/ 8 at 10 p.m. Despite the ample lead-in support from The Biggest Loser, Leno could not even beat a repeat of CBS' The Good Wife. What a disaster!

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon